Esteemed Contributor

Re: The cost of an education Then & now

@Spurt wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

What hasn't at least tripled in price in the past 50 years?

Why would anyone be surprised?  News?????

Reports show that a college education has increased much faster than inflation.  Making it much less affordable unless students or their families go into debt.

@CrazyDaisy

Then perhaps alternatives should be explored.... Personally except for a few specialized fields college degrees dont seem to carry much weight at all these days....Its a different world

Technical schools, trade and vocational schools, internships with companies...... There are also schools for health careers such as Physcial Therapists, Phlebotomists, Health Information Technicians etc etc etc....courses are for a year and cost much less 

For example some electricians earn $70,000 or more per year......plumbers earn $54,000 or more.....

I have co-workers that paid for college degrees in history and psychology and all they got out of it was college loan debt and working in a business office 

The value of a college education may be different for different people. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Things have changed dramatically in nursing over the years. A diploma degree is almost not worth the paper it is printed on. I wasn’t even aware they were still around. As nurses fought and struggled to be accepted, treated and paid as professionals, the educational standards have been, by necessity, raised. It is extremely difficult, here, to find a full time position with benefits without a BSN.

I graduated in 1981 with an associates degree. While working full time I utilized the hospital’s tuition reimbursement program to earn my Bachelor’s degree. I only took classes that would be paid for under yearly limitation, so getting the degree took longer than usual. I did the same for my Master’s. 

Nursing is is a great profession for those who don’t mind hard physical, mental, emotional and intellectual labor. There is not a single nurse I have ever known who does not have foot, knee,leg, or back issues.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

My father, husband and son were all college and professionally educated at the same schools.  The cost of four years for my father was less (24 years later) than one year for my husband.  Four years for my husband (25 years later) cost less than one year for our son.

The cost for private colleges is astronomical.

Respected Contributor

the trade/tech schools near me are around 20k a year. They are less expensive but not by much

Honored Contributor

Re: The cost of an education

@151949 wrote:

@blackhole99 When I graduated in 1969 my take home pay for 2 weeks was $169. When I finished my BSN I got a $1 an hour raise, however the hospital had paid my college tuition, if I signed a 5 year contract.

When I retired in 2007 I was making $30 an hour but I was working so much overtime I made $110,000 that last year,that I worked FT. The last 5 years I worked in dialysis and it was the most brutal job I've ever had. It truely ruined my back having to push 300 pound machines all over the very large hospital to all the various ICU departments.Not to mention the horrific hours , on call - so many bad things.

Please stop whining. My God, do you think it was any easier for the rest of us? The nurses I know are thankful for the careers they had or have. You are like one big pity party, get over yourself. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's something I saw in USA Today---that's the title of the newspaper, I'm not saying it appeared today.  Cut and pasted below:

"WASHINGTON — Americans with no more than a high school diploma have fallen so far behind college graduates in their economic lives that the earnings gap between college grads and everyone else has reached its widest point on record."

. .

"College graduates, on average, earned 56% more than high school grads in 2015, according to data compiled by the Economic Policy Institute. That was up from 51% in 1999 and is the largest such gap in EPI's figures dating to 1973."

"Since the Great Recession ended in 2009, college-educated workers have captured most of the new jobs and enjoyed pay gains. Non-college grads, by contrast, have faced dwindling job opportunities and an overall 3% decline in income, EPI's data shows."

"The post-Great Recession economy has divided the country along a fault line demarcated by college education," Anthony Carnevale, director of Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce, said in a report last year."     [end of cut and paste]

I just want to add that the article does say that a community college Associates degree in a high-tech field such as X-ray technician takes only two years and is highly paid work.   Factory jobs, which sustained most of the middle-class people in the town I grew up in, has been in decline for several generations now.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@151949I hear you. That niece of mine who graduated with a BSN and went to work at our regional teaching hospital in the Intensive Care Unit, lasted 8 years in that position. IMO the pay was not that great for what she had to contend with and it was ruining her health. My niece now works starting IV's all over the hospital, I have to think that's a waste of her education, but her health come first. IMO nursing is not an easy profession.

Actually , working on the IV team is very difficult on your back. All that bending over chairs and beds.

Are they not allowed to sit on a chair? That is what I did and it seemed to work fine. 

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@151949  Previously, you have told us you had a full scholarship. Another time, you said your grandfather's employer paid for you to go to school. Now you are telling us the hospital reimbursed you after working five years.

That's three stories I'm aware in less than ONE year! How can anyone believe anything you ever say?  EYEBALL ROLLS

I don't because it is fabrication and she is a pro.

Honored Contributor

You raise the bed so you don’t strain your back.

Working on the PIC team is a nice job. Not my thing, but it’s a good job and no heavy lifting.

With the almost endless specialties and employers, there is no reason to spend your nursing career in a job you hate or is trashing your health.
Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@151949  Previously, you have told us you had a full scholarship. Another time, you said your grandfather's employer paid for you to go to school. Now you are telling us the hospital reimbursed you after working five years.

That's three stories I'm aware in less than ONE year! How can anyone believe anything you ever say?  EYEBALL ROLLS

I don't because it is fabrication and she is a pro.

Reminded of something I saw on a poster once:  

You never look good trying to make someone else look bad

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.