Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 tansy said:
On 5/16/2014 goldenretriever said:

Buh-bye Babs.

Maybe she USED to be a good, journalist (impartial), but she has certainly shown her true colors the last few years. I rarely used to watch The View (& never, now), but I did see the show with John McCain when he was running for president.

I'm not a fan of his, but I couldn't believe how he was treated on that show. Miss Babs was a disgrace! She talked down to him, turned away from him, & made faces. I couldn't believe her childish behavior.

I've never been a fan of hers, but I can't stomach her now. Blech.

I'm not a fan either but McCain was asked about his attack ads that he continued to run even after the ads were proven to be untrue.

I seem to remember that, but maybe someone just told me about the day he was on. He was a candidate, and as such, should have been prepared to answer a question about what he was advertising on campaign ads. Did he expect to talk trivia? Despite what I or anyone else thinks about Babs, she was a major force in breaking the glass ceiling in a male dominated bastion. And, Harry Reasoner, (or Weasoner as Babs would say), was unconscionably rude and mean spirited towards her. It must have been humiliating for her to be treated with such contempt on air and still remain composed. So I'll give her that. However, I feel that she probably should have retired perhaps 10 years ago. I think because of age, health issues, and perhaps a few memory problems, she faltered quite a bit these past few years. I still am amazed at her energy and spirit even now that she's in her 80's.

Super Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I got the impression that Whoopi was rolling her eyes when certain former co-hosts PRETENDED to be such good friends.

There's a lot we don't know, and I don't believe for one minute that everyone on that Thursday show are such good friends! LOL

Well, Debbie Matenopoulos was fired; Star Jones claims she was fired; the rumors that Joy and Elizabeth were both fired still persist; Rosie quit, but was going to be fired. Maybe it's just me, but I'd say that alone would be reason for there to be some tension. Babs never admitted ANY of them were fired, but we know she and Bill Gedde were behind the changes. After all, THEY were the producers.

Honored Contributor
On 5/16/2014 RainCityGirl said:

I got the impression that Whoopi was rolling her eyes when certain former co-hosts PRETENDED to be such good friends.

There's a lot we don't know, and I don't believe for one minute that everyone on that Thursday show are such good friends! LOL

Well, Debbie Matenopoulos was fired; Star Jones claims she was fired; the rumors that Joy and Elizabeth were both fired still persist; Rosie quit, but was going to be fired. Maybe it's just me, but I'd say that alone would be reason for there to be some tension. Babs never admitted ANY of them were fired, but we know she and Bill Gedde were behind the changes. After all, THEY were the producers.

What?? You mean they don't all wuv and get along with each other??
Respected Contributor

The special airing now about her history is an interesting watch. Loving the old film clips.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

I didn't see BW's daughter on any of the events. I may have missed her.

Respected Contributor
On 5/16/2014 Moonlady said:
On 5/15/2014 adelle38 said:

Why on earth are they spending the whole week and a night time special singing Barbara's praises? At one time she was a competent journalist. It's been decades since she really did interviews about important things. The way they are carrying on you'd think she'd found a cure for cancer. I can see a one program tribute but a true journalist would be embarrassed by all of this nonsense.

I'll hand it to BW that she's been around for quite a while and has certainly made her mark on broadcast TV (most notably in the pop culture arena), but there were contemporary female journalists who did even more for today's crop of women.

Really? ....... Please, name three female journalists that did even more than Barbara Walters for today's crop of women .... I can't wait to hear this!

I love the breathless incredulity, and I don't even have to go as far back as Nellie Bly to address it.Wink

I suppose I could understand young people thinking BW is all that, given today's "that was before my time" (isn't almost everything?) excuse for being devoid of any historical knowledge. But any child of the 50s and 60s should remember Marlene Sanders, Pauline Frederick, and Nancy Dickerson, two of whom were contemporaries of BW.

I've always given Barbara Walters her props for longevity (Fredericks had to bow out at 70 due to mandatory retirement) and the fact that she's a great interviewer, but her bastion was in TV entertainment, not news, and her forte was interviewing the politicos, newsworthy John/Jane Does and, most notably, Hollywood celebrities.

When we were kids, we saw the three women I mentioned on our black-and-white TV delivering the mid-day news breaks, but they went beyond being news readers. They were network news correspondents. Journalists, they reported for the Big Three networks, and PBS. While BW was still the "Today Girl" at the Today Show, Marlene Sanders was an embedded journalist during the Viet Nam war (something else people my age remember seeing every evening at that time). While BW earned emmys for her in-depth celebrity interviews, they were getting Peabody Awards... for journalism (Sanders has been a Peabody Award judge for over 10 years).

Americans, women, pioneers in the field of journalism--foreign correspondents, U.N. Correspondents Assn. president, TV and radio journalists, vice-presidents of news departments....you name it, they did it.

Somtimes it's advantageous to be older than dirt.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

https://journalism.nyu.edu/the-100-outstanding-journalists-in-the-united-states-in-the-last-100-year...

Pauline Frederick made the 300 nominee list.

Jeffry Toobin wrote this interesting article about Marlene Sanders, growing up with her as his mother.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/04/marlene-sanders-top-journalist.html

I doubt Barbara Walters would take anything away from the other women who made strides in the man's world of those times. I'd venture to guess women all along the way were as competitive with one another, or more so, as with the men for fewer opportunities.

Honored Contributor

Remember news woman Jessica Savitch who died in a terrible auto crash.

Honored Contributor
On 5/17/2014 Shelbelle said:

Remember news woman Jessica Savitch who died in a terrible auto crash.

I remember it well because my brother and SIL were at the same restaurant as J Savitch the night she was killed. I am trying the think of the name....Chez Odette in New Hope PA. We all went there often.

That was a terrible accident and she was well liked in the Phila area.

Valued Contributor

Ann Curry and BW's daughter were there. BW pointed out her daughter, etc. Her dd just doesn't like to be on camera for long.