Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@Porcelainwell.....but we would then have another thread on the subject.  Smiley Happy

I can just imagine it. Five years from now I start the thousandth Covid thread called: "Ain't life wonderful now that no one gets Covid anymore?" And someone still poof-bombs the thread by getting all twitchy over something or other.

@Porcelainit will be a miracle if no one gets covid anymore. I look forward to your thread. Do you really feel that way?  Smiley Sad 

I think we'll be customers of the vaccine companies forever. 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@agb80 wrote:

@Porcelainwell.....but we would then have another thread on the subject.  Smiley Happy

I can just imagine it. Five years from now I start the thousandth Covid thread called: "Ain't life wonderful now that no one gets Covid anymore?" And someone still poof-bombs the thread by getting all twitchy over something or other.

@Porcelainit will be a miracle if no one gets covid anymore. I look forward to your thread. Do you really feel that way?  Smiley Sad 

I think we'll be customers of the vaccine companies forever. 

Yes I really do feel that way. Once enough people are vaccinated, aka herd immunity, the virus won't circulate and it will die off because it won't have any human hosts to replicate on.

Like any parasite, a virus needs a host. If there aren't any hosts available because everyone is vaccinated and can fight the virus off, it dies. A virus has a limited time to spread from you to me before your immune system manages to kill it off (or you die of it but let's assume you live!). If I'm vaccinated and you aren't and you have Covid, and I'm the only person you come in contact with while contagious, my being able to kill off the virus immediately and not spread it, means it has reached the end of its life. It ends when your immune system kills it off in your body. It was unable to jump to my body and replicate again before you killed it off. So it's over for that branch of the virus. If that happens everywhere, Covid dies.

Does this make sense? I know what I meant but I have no idea whether I communicated it coherently.

I really think we've been conditioned to have far too low of expectations about the future.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelainit makes sense.  I just hope it works out that way.  I hate life right now.  Can't visit out of state...afraid to get on an airplane.  Afraid to visit with my neighbors.  My husband had to go on zoloft because he hates life too right now.  I refuse to go on meds and be turned into an apathetic vegetable....husband is almost like that now, some days worse than others. 

Trusted Contributor

I guess I produced the old crickets effect with that one. 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@Porcelainit makes sense.  I just hope it works out that way.  I hate life right now.  Can't visit out of state...afraid to get on an airplane.  Afraid to visit with my neighbors.  My husband had to go on zoloft because he hates life too right now.  I refuse to go on meds and be turned into an apathetic vegetable....husband is almost like that now, some days worse than others. 

I've been able to work on a lot of projects without interruption, so I love that and I stay busy. And I get to see much more of DH and we have a lot of fun together. That feels like an amazing luxury. We exercise together TWICE A DAY and are so much better for it. Without Covid cabin fever I don't think that would have happened.

Having things to look forward to, even if they're small and wouldn't matter to anyone but me, keeps me moving forward and appreciative of being alive. Once I'm vaccinated I would feel comfortable flying on an airplane. So I'm looking forward to that. And going out to jazz clubs and concerts again. And visiting family and getting together with friends in a relaxed normal way again.

I think that if medication helps a person get through a rough spot, I'm all for it. Maybe not Zoloft though lol. I took Wellbutrin for depression for a while some years back (not anymore) and I'm glad I did it. Acute depression due to circumstances is both serious and completely understandable at the same time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr