Esteemed Contributor

As a native New Yorker I visited the Statue of Liberty many, many years ago.  I certainly remember climbing those stairs to the top and looking out, a most memorable visit to be sure.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

The statue is breathtaking.  I have visited it several times. I always think of my immigrant family members who saw Lady Liberty when they first came to the US many years ago.  I can almost feel their excitement. I have even cried on Liberty Island...my feelings overwhelm me.  

Thank you to the people of France. What a magnificent gift.

Respected Contributor

I've seen her too, several times.   It is quite an experience.

It's a shame that so many people these days don't respect what she stands for.   So many!!

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting indeed. I live in PA and was at Ellis island a few times and climbed inside the Statue of Liberty as a kid. My grandparents names are on the Ellis island wall as immigrants from Italy. I have the certificate framed (with their names on and the area they came from in Italy), from Ellis Island from when my dad and his siblings put their names on the wall, and got the certificates. Also the copies of their ships manifests and their info is on the Ellis Island website. (my grandpop came first, then went back and got my grandmom and brought her here).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful Statue of Liberty!  I've seen it and pictures don't do it justice.  Been there and also Ellis Island where my Father and family came through from Italy.  His name is on the wall there.  They were so proud to be here and went through all legal channels to stay here.

Honored Contributor

We saw it last October.  My kids were in awe!

Respected Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

What a beautiful Statue of Liberty!  I've seen it and pictures don't do it justice.  Been there and also Ellis Island where my Father and family came through from Italy.  His name is on the wall there.  They were so proud to be here and went through all legal channels to stay here.

The legal channel was have the money to pay for a steerage spot on a ship (or stoweaway). Show up in the US without smallpox and other disease and off you go. 

Respected Contributor

Re: The Statue of Liberty

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN    It's a small world--my Mother was born in Jersey City at her family home on Enos Place.

I was born in Jersey City, too, at the well known hospital built by the "Last Hurrah" type infamous Mayor named for his mother.

As a family we relocated to Connecticut in the mid nineteen-sixties.

I haven't visited for many years but it seems the city has had quite a rebirth for the better in recent times from what I've seen and read online.

And a visit to the Statue of Liberty is a wonderful experience.

Regular Contributor

Hi Jellybean--I too grew up in Jersey City in "the Heights". When I got married my apartment had a view of Lady Liberty which I would look at every day. Once in a while we would dine in NYC at World Yacht Dinner Cruise. That was really beautiful because the yacht would sail very close to her & we had a great view. She's very beautiful up close.We also went inside but the spiral staircase is very small & it was too crowded so I never climbed up it. I was so happy that she was spared during 9/11. The Manhattan landscape just isn't the same without the Twin Towers. I have since moved an hour away but everytime I visit that area I always look for Lady Liberty. My brother-in-law is a fire captain there so he was a first responder and worked at Ground Zero for days. There will always be some sadness remembering how things used to be.

Respected Contributor

@donniesmom   So do you remember Palisades Park?  Have lots of happy memories visiting that when quite young.