Respected Contributor

Re: The Southwest is Burning!

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Financialgrl I keep telling Bill the cat that I'm going to be real upset if Topper Shutt (do you know Topper on CBS/channel 9 weather)?  He keeps talking about all the rain.

Anyway, if Topper starts talking about a drought this summer you'll hear a loud yell and say to your friends, "That's just that ding dong Annabelle from QVC....she's fed up with this weather".  Ha!

My daughters want me to sell this house and move into one of the places like where you live.  I live in a big house on 1 acre that we raised 3 daughters in.  It's long been paid for and I don't even go into some of the rooms.  I'm just comfortable here.  

If I moved they'd want me to move closer to Fairfax, Va where my oldest daughter lives.  I can't stand Fairfax County.  I just think the people are rude (generalizing).  I like it out here because it's more like  ...... well it is country but not quite.  My neighbors care for things that I ask them for help with.  I have someone who mows the lawn and does things for me.  It's a split level so it's comfortable.

Do you like it where you live?  I keep getting pamplets from a place in Springfield, Va called Springgreen.  I think that's it.  I believe my girls signed up my name with them.  I'll probably eventually have to move but not yet.

You are the only person I've met who lives in one of those.  Maybe one day.  I can travel and do what I want and have a friend who cares for my house and cats.  While I was visiting my daughter recently in Denver my friend shampooed my rugs and cared for my cats.  I paid her but still there aren't many friends like that around.  See why I hate to move.  Ha!

Take care.

@Annabellethecat66  Been in area since 1966 so I know Topper and Sue Palka - prob two of the longest meteorologists around this area  I told the neighbor today that I bet come July/August we'll complain bc it hurts our feet to walk across the grass that feels like straw! 

I grew up in Prince William County and later moved to Culpeper County to  be closer to siblings when I had to move dad in with me.  THat was a large home on 3 acres.  When dad died I stayed another 4 years mostly bc I was too lazy to do all that moving entails.  

I think you are speaking of Green Springs which is a retirement continual care community.  They tend to have 3 levels of care - independent living, assisted living and then on to memory care/nursing care.  I have a few friends that are in Ashby Ponds out in Loudoun County and love it.  All are still in independent living.  

I'm in an over 55 community (all single family homes very close together).  You see many of those around (Hovnanian, Del Webb, Toll Brothers communities).  I had a one level 2 bed 2 bath home built.   Our homes are very close together, and HOA fees here will shovel snow (on our driveways and sidewalks).  We have the option of paying an extra fee to the HOA and they'll do our individual lawncare and most take advantage of that.  I see few mow their own grass.   We have the indoor/outdoor pools, and a clubhouse that always has a lot of activities going on during the day and often evening activities.  I told my siblings when I moved here that moving was too much of a hassle - this will be my last home before or until I can no longer live alone and have to move into a continual care facility. 

Honored Contributor

I wish I could send you some rain.

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Kachina624

I totally inderstand your fore/ jeat tragedy. I live in california, in an area that is no stranger to fires.  We have had several on the 30 years i have lived here, but two were just neverending and so huge.  One uear around 4th of July with temp nearing 107, we had 3 fires going the santa cruz, madonna and one down the street.  The smoke, the ashes, the terror of those fleeing, the horses running wild.  One fire went on for over 45 days.

i hope your fire is contained soon, use an air cleaner in your home if you have one, keep cool, and wet the dogs down!  We covered one car that was outside.  rubbed my cats down with a wet wash cloth all day.  

@shoekitty.  I'm a long way from the fires which are mostly in Northern NM with smoke blowing North.  Last week we did get smoke from a fire near the NM/AZ State Line.  It made it look cloudy and overcast all day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I hope they get the fires out soon. Just a miserable situation for everyone involved. I am also thinking about the big island. It has been a month now of the volcanic situation.

@Nancy Drew.  It seems as though that volcanic situation in Hawaii could go on indefinitely.  I feel for people everywhere who have lost their homes and possession in any sort of disaster.  So very sad.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's very smokey tonight here in Durango, Co. A fire started north of town this morning....watching the smoke plume is always so dramatic....smelling it all night...not so much...DW

Esteemed Contributor

I wish that I could send some of our rain to you....my garden is under water...

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 and those of you in bad weather areas, I feel so bad for you.  It's nice and cool here in SW MI.  We've had heat here this week, but it's due to cool down. We have nothing like Kachina does or the poor people suffering with the volcano.  Good luck to all of you in the messy and dangerous areas.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Local weather forecasters and Accuweather are calling for a 60% chance of precipitation on Sunday.

A few things usually guarantee rain.  Last time it poured I'd just had Preventive Pest Control spray the yard.  Can't call them out again, but I'll do a thorough watering today if you'll promise to get your car washed.

Deal?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

Hopefully the heavens will open and the rains will come soon.

Your scary photo reminded me of last year in Naples where for several days the smoke from the fires along desolate Alligator Alley was kept from rising above the overcast skies.  The soot, white and black “ flurries “ covered cars, chairs, parking lots, etc.  If you opened your door to look out, your clothes immediately reeked of smoke.

The major highway in front of our condo was closed several times because of the dense white smoke.  Once a burning piece of debris floating across the roadway and landed in a mulch bed which caused some folks to be temporarily evacuated.

Thankfully the fire was finally contained....but truly frightening while it lasted.

Hope all stay safe until yours is contained.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Ooooh!  Now they're saying 80% chance!

Fingers and toes crossed.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~