Honored Contributor

The Southwest is Burning!

[ Edited ]

We knew it was going to be bad due to extreme drought.  Our local news spent the first 10 minutes of the newscast just describing all the fires burning.  They've closed National Forests for everything except driving through.  Twelve buildings have burned on the Philmont Scout Ranch.  Severe thunderstorms predicted for Sunday which may provide some relief but may start new fires.  Our current humidity is 5%, wind gusts up to 40mph in fire areas.

20180601_181532.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Re: The Southwest is Burning!

@Kachina624 I am so sorry this is happening in your area. I live in the northwest, and every year during fire season my heart starts to ache from all the losses. Last summer was very bad here as it was throughout the entire west so I totally understand what's happening down there. I am praying for relief with rain and that the fires will be stopped. Stay safe, fires are so scary.🌟

Honored Contributor

While visiting my daughter recently everyone in Colorado knows how important the rain and snow is to the state.

I remember the newscasters saying the northern half of Colorado was better off right now than the southern half.

Meanwhile we here in the east (in Va anyway) are about to float away from the heavy rains.  

We had unbelievable storms last night and it's almost 8:30PM and the TV is saying we should get some bad weather sometime tonight.

Respected Contributor

Wish we could send some of our rain your way.

@Annabellethecat66  Yep, I hear ya.  I'm in one of the over 55 communities down 95.  We're getting everyone's rain.  One of the residents here in our community was a meteorologist and now does it as a hobby and does a weekly tally in our resident website put out every Friday.  Just posted we are presently 2.9" above average for rainfall for this area.  

We have lawn irrigation systems and our HOA cuts our inidividual lawns.  Last week we were told to temporarily turn off the systems bc rain is matting the grass down and it doesn't cut it making the grass much higher in between mowings.  I suspect we'll pay in July and August though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I had no idea that was happening in your area.  Please be safe.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I'm in Colorado and we're so dry here! Humidity 4% and very hot. The sun feels like it can cook you if you go outside.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Yep, we are SMOLDERING in Texas too....and there's only a slight 20% of scattered showers on Sunday but will be really scattered and not all that much rain....Woman Sad  And then its back up to 99/100 degree days...and lakes and streams are really shrinking....Oh but it might "cool down" to 98 by next weekend....ARRRGGHHH!!!  

Whats funny is the original Farmers Almanac predicted a colder and wetter summer for Texas....and they arent often wrong......

RAIN RAIN COME OUR WAY!!!............PLEASE!!!

Image result for cat and air conditioner

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

I totally inderstand your fire/ neat tragedy. I live in california, in an area that is no stranger to fires.  We have had several in the 30 years i have lived here, but two were just never ending, and so huge.  One year around 4th of July,with temp nearing 107, we had 3 fires going.... the santa cruz, madonna ,and one down the street.  The smoke, the ashes, the terror of those fleeing, the horses running wild.  One fire went on for over 45 days.

i hope your fire is contained soon, use an air cleaner in your home if you have one, keep cool, and wet the dogs down!  We covered one car that was outside.  I rubbed my cats down with a wet wash cloth all day.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl I keep telling Bill the cat that I'm going to be real upset if Topper Shutt (do you know Topper on CBS/channel 9 weather)?  He keeps talking about all the rain.

Anyway, if Topper starts talking about a drought this summer you'll hear a loud yell and say to your friends, "That's just that ding dong Annabelle from QVC....she's fed up with this weather".  Ha!

My daughters want me to sell this house and move into one of the places like where you live.  I live in a big house on 1 acre that we raised 3 daughters in.  It's long been paid for and I don't even go into some of the rooms.  I'm just comfortable here.  

If I moved they'd want me to move closer to Fairfax, Va where my oldest daughter lives.  I can't stand Fairfax County.  I just think the people are rude (generalizing).  I like it out here because it's more like  ...... well it is country but not quite.  My neighbors care for things that I ask them for help with.  I have someone who mows the lawn and does things for me.  It's a split level so it's comfortable.

Do you like it where you live?  I keep getting pamplets from a place in Springfield, Va called Springgreen.  I think that's it.  I believe my girls signed up my name with them.  I'll probably eventually have to move but not yet.

You are the only person I've met who lives in one of those.  Maybe one day.  I can travel and do what I want and have a friend who cares for my house and cats.  While I was visiting my daughter recently in Denver my friend shampooed my rugs and cared for my cats.  I paid her but still there aren't many friends like that around.  See why I hate to move.  Ha!

Take care.