Valued Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Justina rae said:

I'm sorry you feel so angry about being left out. Perhaps instead you should show some empathy towards your fellow human beings. I remember Hurricane Andrew very well and my loved ones were involved praying for their lives.

I was living in SoFl during Andrew and if the track had moved only 25 miles north my neighborhood would have been devastated rather than just damaged.

Most people don't realize how little a shift in a storm's track it takes to change how they are affected.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:
On 1/27/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 1/27/2015 Matty6 said:

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} There use of the word "historic" was ridiculous to me. What ever happened to severe or just plain a lot of snow. Of course they the news people and weather forecasters are going to make a mountain out of a molehill. They always do. I take it with a grain of salt. In there case a grain of snow.

So does that mean you'd like to help me shovel out 15 plus inches of snow that's still coming down making travel impossible?

No mountain out of a molehill where I live.{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

I'm old but I looked at the calendar and it's January...winter=cold and snow.

Then why the snark about using the word "historic?"

I guess if you don't have to deal with the mess, you don't care about the people who were affected.

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Hooty said:

You know I was thinking with all the coverage of this yesterday, you'd think these are the only people that live in the United States!!! I just hope that next time the folks in the South and Coastal States have severe tornadoes and hurricanes (that can kill you) they get as much coverage as this "Blizzard of 2015" in the Northeast!{#emotions_dlg.angry}

I'm sorry you feel so angry about being left out. Perhaps instead you should show some empathy towards your fellow human beings. I remember Hurricane Andrew very well and my loved ones were involved praying for their lives.

Left out, LOL ............ I have lived in the DC area and No. VA and DE, and have experienced SNOW, but they usually don't kill you!

Terrier, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the world does not revolve around the Northeast! I am assuming that is where you live!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Marp2 said:

I was living in SoFl during Andrew and if the track had moved only 25 miles north my neighborhood would have been devastated rather than just damaged.

Most people don't realize how little a shift in a storm's track it takes to change how they are affected.

I'm glad you were spared Marp. Some people are just plain ignorant when it comes to how weather...any kind of weather be it hurricane OR snowstorm...can be deadly or otherwise impact people's lives.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:
On 1/27/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.

says the person who lives in the desert. You're from NV, right?

The implications of a severe winter storm don't affect you, so you and your DH "laugh out loud". SMH

I lived in the snowbelt along Lake Erie for over 50 years, so I do know of what I speak. We expected tons of snow and we dealt with it without getting in a panic at the very thought of it. Did I like it? NO...which explains why I now live in the desert.

Your attitude towards the coverage of a potential disaster speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. I'm glad you found it so humorous.

Wink

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.

The implications of a severe winter storm don't affect you, so you and your DH "laugh out loud". SMH

I lived in the snowbelt along Lake Erie for over 50 years, so I do know of what I speak. We expected tons of snow and we dealt with it without getting in a panic at the very thought of it. Did I like it? NO...which explains why I now live in the desert.

Well I still live along Lake Erie and have for all 46 years of my life. Times have changed in our forecasting here as well.

They carry on so much about the snow, especially in local papers, that even if we are supposed to get 5" of snow, which isn't a whole lot, grocery store shelves are empty because people are panicked.

The same goes for over broadcasting when we are in any kind of thunderstorm.

It's one thing to err on the side of caution. It's another to scare people and induce panic. But they are weather forecasters and one slight change in the wind changes everything. But the nature of a weather forecasters job is to give the weather and most days, it's pretty ho-hum so I think they get a little anxious when something is happening.

Honored Contributor

And if there is another war, or 9/11, guess where it will happen? In the Northeast where the most people can be killed at once, and which is the economic hub of the country, not to mention the Capitol, where our entire government is located. We have Russian submarines just miles off our coasts right this minute. Guess who the targets are?

And we get the bad weather besides. So there's no cause for envy here.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Ford1224 said:

And if there is another war, or 9/11, guess where it will happen? In the Northeast where the most people can be killed at once, and which is the economic hub of the country, not to mention the Capitol, where our entire government is located. We have Russian submarines just miles off our coasts right this minute. Guess who the targets are?

And we get the bad weather besides. So there's no cause for envy here.

Well said!!

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Your attitude towards the coverage of a potential disaster speaks volumes about the kind of person you are. I'm glad you found it so humorous.

The only reason a snowstorm in the winter would be disastrous is if people don't use the brains God gave them. I find it more sad than humorous, btw.

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Hooty said:

Left out, LOL ............ I have lived in the DC area and No. VA and DE, and have experienced SNOW, but they usually don't kill you!

Terrier, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the world does not revolve around the Northeast! I am assuming that is where you live!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

In the case of air travel, the world is revolving around the NE. Most NE airports were closed for a time. Carriers did not want their planes stuck on run ways so many arriving flights were canceled beginning early yesterday. All the NYC airports are now open but there were no early morning arriving flights, which means there were fewer planes leaving. Connections across the country are affected.

Last nights overseas flights never left NYC so these planes are not where they need to be for today's flights.

It will take days before air traffic catches up.