Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:

I don't understand it either. I wish Katrina, and Sandy, and others had turned out to be "over-predicted" storms. I guess there has to be a complaint or scapegoat du jour, and today's is the combo of the meteorologists and the media.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

One of my daughters good friends from high school, he is majoring in meteorology . . . can't say that would be a career path I'd ever want to choose . . . I would NOT like being wrong that often for sure! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Qwackertoo said:
On 1/27/2015 dooBdoo said:

I don't understand it either. I wish Katrina, and Sandy, and others had turned out to be "over-predicted" storms. I guess there has to be a complaint or scapegoat du jour, and today's is the combo of the meteorologists and the media.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

One of my daughters good friends from high school, he is majoring in meteorology . . . can't say that would be a career path I'd ever want to choose . . . I would NOT like being wrong that often for sure! Smiley Happy

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}He's in for a world of hurt, that's for sure.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:

Where was it last year, Atlanta?, that got hit with snow in unexpected levels? Cars were stuck, folks died from exposure, the local officials were raked over the coals for not "knowing" it would be bad.

At the very least I'd be grateful that there were warnings and appropriate precautions were taken. Those who are getting hit hard won't be complaining about all that was done to prepare them.

Yes, that was awful. Even elementary kids being stuck overnight at their schools, school buses stuck in the traffic jams from the accidents with the ice.

I'm always ok when our superintendent calls off school or has an early dismissal. Better safe than sorry. Not all school buses travel on well traveled roads for their routes.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.

You might want to consider reading your signature quote more often.....

Honored Contributor

Watch, next storm will go unnoticed until it is really bad, sigh.......

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 SydneyH said:

Watch, next storm will go unnoticed until it is really bad, sigh.......

I was thinking the same thing. Next time they might not do anything and then it will be a mess. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor
On 1/27/2015 ktlynam said:
On 1/27/2015 Pqfan said:

I am so thankful we didn't get the amount of snow they predicted! They made the right decision to over prepare because in years past people have been stuck for hours in cars and trains. Potentially very dangerous situations are avoided by just shutting it down.

I think they should shut down everything for every predicted blizzard. The fact that they were able to plow the roads so well without all of the stranded or parked cars will make a huge difference when people get back on them.

Yes. I was listening to Gov. Cuomo's news conference this morning and when the question was posed about the ""unnecessary economic consequence"" of everything being shut down his response was similar to yours. He pointed out that the ability to clear the roads as well as they were able to do with the ban in place as well as putting trains away serves to bring back normal function including businesses getting back to normal that much more quickly.

Honored Contributor

It was just two years and a few months ago that we suffered the "worst storm of the century" in this area. There are more than 85 years left to this century and I doubt anything we have suffered to date is going to wind up being anywhere close to the worst we are going to see.

However, the media and meteorologists did a good job with this storm. We were totally under-prepared for Superstorm Sandy. Which is worse? The answer is obvious.

I do agree that they should stop with the hyperbole and scary headlines every five minutes.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:

I don't understand the criticism of some regarding the predictions. Are you disappointed that you weren't slammed as others were? I would much rather have officials over prepare than not be properly prepared.

What's the Scout motto? Be prepared? Be prepared, expect the worst and hope for the best....

If officials hadn't prepared for the worst and it happened, the screaming would be heard all the way to the west coast.

What upsets me every time there is a snowstorm predicted of any size, the media acts like we're all a bunch of idiots that need them to take care of us. Most people have enough common sense that they know they live in a harsh winter weather area and they do know what kind of clothes to wear and how to survive cold weather and snow. I think the Be Prepared motto has fallen by the wayside to Be Prepared and in a Panic.

Respected Contributor
On 1/27/2015 kdgn said:
On 1/27/2015 Tyak said:

Wow, I'm so relieved to see that NYC survived "the worst snowstorm since 1872" as I heard it put from deblasio. Again, the media has turned a winter snowstorm, imagine that, into the sky is falling scenario and gotten millions in a panic. My dh and I laughed out loud last night when Shepard Smith hosted a one hour special Weather Alert program. Too funny.

You might want to consider reading your signature quote more often.....

I don't think so unless you consider a snowstorm evil.