Respected Contributor

The Smorgasbord Table Is Gone

I'm preparing to move from the west coast to the east coast in a few weeks. I decided to downsize a bit and purge some pieces of furniture I've had for years. One of those pieces was my dining table.

The charity donations truck drove away with my furniture, and I was suddenly flooded with a winding river of memories.

We ate standing rib roast, mashed potatoes, and butternut squash at that table for Christmas. We had turkey with all the trimmings at Thanksgiving seated there. And at Easter, the table was surrounded by family and friends eating a crown roast along with the dishes they brought.

That table wasn't just for holidays. Most days were special occasions at the table. My child did homework there, and we had life-impacting discussions during our everyday meals. My child set up a laptop on one side, and I've written my novels on my laptop on the opposite side. My child built science projects on the table, and I trimmed our dog's nails on it.

So many faces and stories sat across from each other at that dining table.

It held a smorgasbord.

Honored Contributor

Re: The Smorgasbord Table Is Gone

@Desert Lily    Kind of sad, isn't it?  There will be many upcoming changes in your life.  The different climate will be a major factor and the attitude of people will be somewhat different.  Probably much more traffic and hoards of people everywhere you go.  Do you have relatives on the East Coast? 

I should be moving there too because all of my family is there, but I can't see myself living there again.  My grandmother moved East in her old age after a lifetime spent in Colorado, and I remember how unhappy she was. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily 

Such wonderful memories...bittersweet, I'm sure.

Our home of 30 years and all my "stuff" hold similar memories that I often replay in my mind.  Those days are gone and will not return.

On a happy note, your new life awaits with new memories to be made.

I grew up in Illinois, but have lived "out East" in Maryland for many years.  I love it and love the East Coast.

Good luck on your move.

Honored Contributor

Beautifully written, @Desert Lily 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I feel exactly the same way about my kitchen table.  I can tell you how every mark and scratch and stain happened.

I remember the cups of coffee and tea and conversations and meals. 

We laughed and cried at this table.

It was a homework table and an arts and crafts table and work table.

I could move into a $5,000,000 mansion with a $100,000 chef's kitchen and that table would come with me!

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily 

I’m glad you have those warm memories.  Hold them close. 💙

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

That was lovely! I enjoyed reading it. You'll make some new, wonderful memories in your East coast home.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm nearing 80 and feel the same about my vintage furniture......family pieces that are worthless monetarily but priceless in sentimental memories. As we move into our super senior years, for the most part lifetime memories are what we have left at the end. My kids can "update" when I'm gone. 

Respected Contributor

When we moved out of our old house I cried like a baby. My friend told me "you can sell the house but you didn't sell the memories". 

Good luck with your move