Honored Contributor

Re: The Rise of "Serial Returners" 😧

I worked at JCP Catalog back in its hey-day.  JCP was known for taking anything back.

Woman returned used curtains, clearly aged and tattered (snags by a cat it looked like) that had an awful odor with NO receipt.

Asked about the odor..."Oh, we have fleas and had to do a flea bomb"  The mgr made us give her a full refund on USED curtains at the current full price.

There are hundreds of other stories, but the other I remember was a set of weights (no receipt of course).  We told him we could NOT take them back cuz they were stamped SEARS right on them!  He insisted JCP must have sent him those since he didn't shop at Sears.  Once again, the mgt made us give him a full refund for the current price on a JCP weight set similar.

Trusted Contributor

😡 This really is awful- a kind of theft that we all pay for with higher prices, and restrictions against legitimate returns on damaged items. 

These serial returners need to be put out of business before more stores, shops and restaurants go under. 

Respected Contributor

A slightly different story---several years ago we bought a TV from Walmart. When they brought out the boxed one on the cart, it was the correct box. We got home, took the TV out of the box, and it was a more expensive one---about $100 more expensive! It was one of the several we'd looked at and decided it cost too much. 

I called the store and told them, and offered to return the TV. They said "it's the one we sold you, not your fault, you keep it". What they said probably happened was a dishonest employee had put the pricier set in the box, and was going to sell it to someone they knew for the cheaper price. Apparently, we got there before they did! The store said this was becoming a problem and they were trying to figure out just who was doing it.

Trusted Contributor

@LUV 2 SHOP Why would you be reading this thread? And, why are you passing judgement on those that are sharing their stories on this subject? You have minimal posts and come on the thread chastising those posting? What the posters here are sharing concern all those that conduct themselves with honesty and dignity regarding legitimate returns. The stories shared here highlight the problem of theft by taking or at least fraud.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Costco took back 2 5yr old used dirty toilets!!! WHAT!! and they made her clean them (where in the return line) before excepting them back for a refund????  Seriously?  I don't believe that story LOL and if Costco is doing that I think THEY are part of the problem here also.  People who play the system will take it as far as you will let them.

I worked in retail CS on and off and true folks want to return all kinds of stuff.  I was in line at Kohl's to make a return and the lady in front of me had a large black garbage bag in her arms...inside was a used Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer....she told them it didn't work anymore and she wanted her money back.  She bought it several yrs ago!  THey ended up giving her a store credit.  Incredible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago when Emporium was around my daughter would come home furious over customer returns.  Not the legit, returns or buyers remorse returns. But the cheapskates that bilk the system. She worked in luggage.  So many people, more than you think,Take up an hour of sales clerks time choosing  luggage for overseas trips.  Sure as shootin, they are back returning them after vacation.  My daughter stepped

down from her position after one incident.  A lady took up most of my daughters time choosing set for vacation.     It was very high end, and a lot of money.  As soon as she bought it, the next week it  was on sale,  and she was back to get difference.  Then after her trip overseas, she returned set, banged up and wanted original price back

My daughter knew she got 25% back as a sale price compensation.  In cash.  When she returned it she produced sales slip for original price.  First of all, in those days there were no computers, and the customer was always right.  My daughter got the supervisor

And although the supervisor knew this lady was con artist and serial returner, she supported " the customer is always right" against my daughter. Who explained to the supervisor aside, that the lady already got money back, and now she was returning it.  What made my daughter mad was this lady did this all the time, and now she made about 70 dollars on her return, plus free rental of high end luggage for 3 weeks. And daughter lost her commission

women return used underwear, dishes, clothing, all the time.  Most are so cheap, and basically they are shoplifters with license  to do it under the law.  Shameful.  Makes it tough on all of us.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

It's because we are so afraid to "judge" or call people out in this country that we have no rules, no laws. Everyone gets to do what they want without it being called out as theft or fraud.  

Shoplifting is a national hobby now instead of a crime.   Don't blame the retailers.  Our society put the in the position of not confronting liars and cheats.  They might sue. 

or take their cellphones out and video the whole thing than take to social media claiming they were treated poorly end embarrassed so in the end, the company gives them a $1000 gift store for their inconvenience. It's a game being played these days

Honored Contributor

My husband saw a woman return bobby pins.

that's sick.

Honored Contributor

People have been returning ****** to stores for years. It has mostly always been taken back by the store. 

Honored Contributor

I bought a couple of packages of cloth napkins at home goods.I washed them before usage and they all shrunk and were no longer square.I went next day with recept to return and was told I couldn’t because they had been washed.?...I wouldn’t use them if they weren’t washed first.The manager took them back though so all is well.I guess some stores do try to stop the habitual returns.