Honored Contributor

Re: The Mark Up

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne wrote:

I am personally very thankful for Instacart.  I am very particular about the quality of produce, fish, meat, etc.  I use a high end local market (the same one I used when I could shop in person).   The shoppers, delivery drivers and company need to make money for providing the service.  I look forward to my delivery every Friday. 

@DiAnne @I'm also grateful and I am especially grateful to the shoppers, but the extra pricing is just getting too high for me. I realize the company must make money, but they are pricing too high for me. The pricing varies from company to company and by zip codes and I am just guessing, but I think they use an algorithm to target individual shoppers. I've paid for huge orders, multiple times, so I'm a prime target. I buy expensive items, eq. genuine Parmesean Reggiano. They know I'll pay for the more expensive things by tracking my ordering patterns, still guessing. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Meijers is very close to me.  They do offer delivery but I know nothing about it as I've never used delivery for any grocery store.

However, I went to their website and searched Pumpkin Pie Spice.  The McCormick brand is $4.59 for 1.12oz.  Meijer brand is $2.79 for .75 oz and to @CelticCrafter 's point, Badia is $1.89 for 2oz.  

As an aside, the McCormick Apple Pie Spice is the exact same price.  So I guess Meijer is pretty expensive.  LOL

@Lipstickdiva @Could you check what the McCormick Apple Pie Spice is? I'm curious. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I use Instacart and Publix, Target Wegman's and Lowe's mark up their price and it's usually noted which stores do that. Food Lion, Aldi's, Fresh Market and Sprouts don't in my neck of the woods. It definitely adds up depending on where you shop but I always check their sales because I've been able to get good deals that way, lots of bogos. 

Walmart charges the same price for delivery but I only get non-perishables there because I've gotten too many items that were expired or closed to being rotten.  I don't even go near the meat department. 

I use Whole Foods through Amazon and have not noticed a mark-up and they've been reliable though I've had some problems with their produce as well. It's kind of a trade off, safety convenience for letting someone else pick your produce but I've never had a problem getting a refund from them if I'm not satisfied. 

I wish Trader Joe's delivered then I'd be in hog heaven!

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse 

Another vote here for Trader Joe's delivery.  I have made a couple of trips there during Senior Hours and really stocked up but right now I am not going to chance it.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D.  I've been using Walmart for over 3 years and overall have been very pleased.  I may never go in the store again.  No tipping either.  I even get my hardware items.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  " Retail partners .set the prices of items on the instacart marketplace. While many retailers offer everyday store prices on instacart, some retailers may set prices on the instacart platform that are different than in-store prices."     
 This is from instacart website.  I know this is true because one store I shop in has exact prices as if I go into the store, and the other store has slightly higher prices than if I shopped myself.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Meijers is very close to me.  They do offer delivery but I know nothing about it as I've never used delivery for any grocery store.

However, I went to their website and searched Pumpkin Pie Spice.  The McCormick brand is $4.59 for 1.12oz.  Meijer brand is $2.79 for .75 oz and to @CelticCrafter 's point, Badia is $1.89 for 2oz.  

As an aside, the McCormick Apple Pie Spice is the exact same price.  So I guess Meijer is pretty expensive.  LOL

@Lipstickdiva @Could you check what the McCormick Apple Pie Spice is? I'm curious. Thanks.

@Mindy D , it's the same price as the pumpkin pie spice. $4.59.  Meijer only has McCormick brand in that.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Mindy D  " Retail partners .set the prices of items on the instacart marketplace. While many retailers offer everyday store prices on instacart, some retailers may set prices on the instacart platform that are different than in-store prices."     
 This is from instacart website.  I know this is true because one store I shop in has exact prices as if I go into the store, and the other store has slightly higher prices than if I shopped myself.

@Janey2 @Thank you. I misread this when I went to Instacart's site. You are definitely right. So, if Instacart charges more for an item, the price is stemming from their partner's pricing. In this case, it's Publix that is the culprit. 

Trusted Contributor

I live in a smaller town, and we didn't have grocery delivery until the pandemic hit.  I started using Instacart in April and I thought the prices and charges were reasonable then. 

But when I used it a few weeks ago, their costs have skyrocketed, now that they know most of us are desperate. They have a delivery fee, a service fee, a tip, and higher prices for the items.  I placed an order from Costco ($180.00), and I paid another $67.00 more to have it delivered than if I had shopped in person.  That's a lot of money for me.  In my town, Costco only delivers groceries via Instacart.

I am going to use either store pickup or store delivery from now on.  No more Costco or Instacart.  I think they are price gouging.

Respected Contributor

With Instacart you have to be very specific as to searching brands.  The more expensive ones pop up first instead of store brands etc.  Also, Instacart states they will charge more for products to get the maximum authorization on your credit card.  When you check your receipts you will see the lower price.