Honored Contributor

Yes, it's pretty obvious.  

Checked Walmart's home delivery.  Pumpkin spice is $2.98.  Edwards Pies $5.97.  

Honored Contributor

I don't blame them for marking up the in-store price - after all, they're doing it for profit, not charity.  But I think it's usually less expensive when the store has its own pick-up and delivery service.   For example, ShopRite From Home uses in-store prices but charges either a flat fee or a percentage of the order (varies by store).

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D.  I paid $5.97 for that Edwards Key Line Pie at Walmart  last week.  Why don't you use their free pick up service?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I don't blame them for marking up the in-store price - after all, they're doing it for profit, not charity.  But I think it's usually less expensive when the store has its own pick-up and delivery service.   For example, ShopRite From Home uses in-store prices but charges either a flat fee or a percentage of the order (varies by store).

@ValuSkr @They were not marking up the In store price. They, Instacart, was marking up the price for delivered items. I have never tried Shop Rite but I will look into them. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D.  I paid $5.97 for that Edwards Key Line Pie at Walmart  last week.  Why don't you use their free pick up service?

@Kachina624 @Thanks. I didn't know Walmart's pick up was free. It is hard for my husband to do things because he is in great pain. Pick up, when he can, would be a help. 

Respected Contributor

Instacart does not do the mark up. Some stores charge instacart for allowing them in the store.

Honored Contributor

I am personally very thankful for Instacart.  I am very particular about the quality of produce, fish, meat, etc.  I use a high end local market (the same one I used when I could shop in person).   The shoppers, delivery drivers and company need to make money for providing the service.  I look forward to my delivery every Friday. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 @You are a lifesaver. I read the company policy and they charge the same for piclk up as for in store. I was looking at prices and I am so very happy. This will help so much. Cheaper and no need to go inside.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Instacart does not do the mark up. Some stores charge instacart for allowing them in the store.

@Janey2 @Instacart policy is listed. They do charge more for some items than in store. Some stores might charge Instacart but that is a different issue.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: The Mark Up

[ Edited ]

Meijers is very close to me.  They do offer delivery but I know nothing about it as I've never used delivery for any grocery store.

However, I went to their website and searched Pumpkin Pie Spice.  The McCormick brand is $4.59 for 1.12oz.  Meijer brand is $2.79 for .75 oz and to @CelticCrafter 's point, Badia is $1.89 for 2oz.  

As an aside, the McCormick Apple Pie Spice is the exact same price.  So I guess Meijer is pretty expensive.  LOL