Honored Contributor

Instacart at Publix marks items up. Here is one example. It's turkey time and pumpkin pie time so the I marks up McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice. You can see that below the pumpkin spice is the McCormick Apple Pie Spice at a much lower price. The only difference in the spices's ingredients is the addition of ginger in the pumpkin. I really want our family protected and use grocery delivery but it is getting so expensive. This is not Publix's in-store price for the pumpkin.5B4F67A7-7B58-4C87-B41E-FAC313384177.pngEDITED TO ADD ✅that retail partners set the prices on the Instacart platform so it would be Publix that set this price for Instacart. Not every retail partner raises prices on the Instacart their partner. See Jewel22's post in this thread.

Honored Contributor

InstaCart is upfront about the pricing and, yes, it is expensive.  Does Publix offer pick-up?  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

InstaCart is upfront about the pricing and, yes, it is expensive.  Does Publix offer pick-up?  

@tansy @Their pick up is through Instacart with the same prices as delivery.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to herbs and spices my daughter says to check the International aisle first because they are usually a lot, a lot less money than the name brands.

Honored Contributor

One way or another, someone has to pay for a service that isn't underlying a whole commercial, cultural, or governmental operation.  We either pay it ourselves when we use a service like Instacart or every customer pays it with overall costs to the company.  

Some years ago when Peapod first came to a local market here, even then reading more than the banner leadlines made it obvious the cost came with no promise the prices would be the same as in-store prices -  nohing at all to do with the current pandemic.  Then and now, those I know who have reason to use the service have not complained about its cost -  although for those I know using it, delivery service means the difference between staying in their own homes or having to head to a facility.  No conest!

Respected Contributor

Re: The Mark Up

[ Edited ]

WHOA.....HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!!  I just saw the price of the Delight creamer.  WHATTTTT?????  I just purchased this same creamer for 2 for $5.00 at Food Lion last week but, I didn't use instacart....I walked in and got it myself.  No way would I pay that price.   

Respected Contributor

Do you have amazon prime? I use instacart also, and I am aware of the mark up. What I do to save is see if I can buy some products at other places. I hate amazon ( but they got me) and I buy some products through amazon. Most of the time they are cheaper. 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

Do you have amazon prime? I use instacart also, and I am aware of the mark up. What I do to save is see if I can buy some products at other places. I hate amazon ( but they got me) and I buy some products through amazon. Most of the time they are cheaper. 

@Janey2 @Yes, I have Prime. So far, I have not ordered much from Fresh or Whole Foods but I'm going to do so. I feel ripped off by the I. Basically, those that need to stay safe the most by staying home are getting charged the most. It's a choice between exposures or paying $$$.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

One way or another, someone has to pay for a service that isn't underlying a whole commercial, cultural, or governmental operation.  We either pay it ourselves when we use a service like Instacart or every customer pays it with overall costs to the company.  

Some years ago when Peapod first came to a local market here, even then reading more than the banner leadlines made it obvious the cost came with no promise the prices would be the same as in-store prices -  nohing at all to do with the current pandemic.  Then and now, those I know who have reason to use the service have not complained about its cost -  although for those I know using it, delivery service means the difference between staying in their own homes or having to head to a facility.  No conest!

@millieshops @I think that many are unaware of just how much more they are paying per item. I've been using Instacart regularly, but this is the first time that I could clearly see just how much more the prices can be jacked up. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  I am not talking about Fresh or Whole Foods ( they tend to be high also), I mean straight prime from amazon. If you look at the McCormick product at amazon it is half the price. You just have to think in advance because it takes about 2 days to get to you.