Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Heart

I came across a poster who had never given a single heart to anyone, even though they had many years here and a very active post count.

On the other hand, some posters are very generous when doling out hearts simply because they're free, it's easy, and they make people feel personally connected to others in this anonymous arena.

One poster started a thread to thank posters for giving her hearts. I guess she wasn't used to getting them. 

And what does a Heart mean anyhow?

Approval? Agreement? Acceptance in a group?

All of the above? Yes, maybe.

Sometimes it's just a friendly gesture, like a symbolic smile and nod of acknowledgement. 

You may give a heart to a well written post that causes you to consider the view expressed, even though you completely disagree with the conclusion. Heart

It might be encouragement for a newbie, a 'Thank you!', or the 'tip' you leave behind after reading something funny.

What do 'hearts' mean to you?

Are you generous? Stingy? Do you reserve them just for old friends?

Do you try to write to get them?

Would you miss them if that feature stopped working? Heart

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Heart

I came across a poster who had never given a single heart to anyone, even though they had many years here and a very active post count.

On the other hand, some posters are very generous when doling out hearts simply because they're free, it's easy, and they make people feel personally connected to others in this anonymous arena.

One poster started a thread to thank posters for giving her hearts. I guess she wasn't used to getting them. 

And what does a Heart mean anyhow?

Approval? Agreement? Acceptance in a group?

All of the above? Yes, maybe.

Sometimes it's just a friendly gesture, like a symbolic smile and nod of acknowledgement. 

You may give a heart to a well written post that causes you to consider the view expressed, even though you completely disagree with the conclusion. Heart

It might be encouragement for a newbie, a 'Thank you!', or the 'tip' you leave behind after reading something funny.

What do 'hearts' mean to you?

Are you generous? Stingy? Do you reserve them just for old friends?

Do you try to write to get them?

Would you miss them if that feature stopped working? Heart

All of the above, @x Hedge. Jk. :-)

I enjoy giving people some recognition and letting them know, without having to put it in wiriting, that someone has at least read their post and found it worthy, for whatever reason.

So I guess I would miss it. But more than anything, I really appreciate notifications that someone has mentioned me. I think that has improved communication here immensely.

Now I guess I should give you a heart. So here: Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

For me they mean everything @x Hedge said. Some days I'm more generous with giving them...depends on my mood. I would miss them if no one gave me any hearts but I don't go out of my way to receive them. They are something I look forward to getting every time I come here.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I seem to recall there was also a poster who said they didn't want them?

Yes for me to most of your reasons. Although I don't heart every post I appreciate or agree with, I heart many to most of them - posters I know well as a hi, and to let others know I agree with them, whether or not I post about it.  I like knowing if someone agrees with me, too.

It wouldn't occur to me to write so as to get them. If we no longer had the feature we'd have many more "ITA" posts, so I hope they don't stop them. Besides it being nice to know that others have seen and acknowledged your posts as you have theirs, it lets people express themselves silently.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I give hearts mainly as a gesture of agreement or acknowledgement. I don't heart every single post, but there are some posters who do. I don't know if they even bother to read the posts, but they heart every single one. 

It makes no difference to me if someone hearts my posts or not. Would I miss them if the feature stopped working? Absolutely not.

@Moonchilde...yes, there is one particular poster who has stated that she does not give hearts nor does she wish to receive any, so I respect her wishes and no longer give her hearts.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I give hearts to posts that provide meaningful information, or that are enjoyable, or say something that needs to be said, or are especially helpful in some way to someone, or that touch me in some way, or give well thought out advise to someone who requested advice.

I think the poster referred to as not wanting hearts was not that she did not want hearts, but that she did not want the notification that pops up at the bottom of the screen as you are reading the forum.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

I give hearts to posts that provide meaningful information, or that are enjoyable, or say something that needs to be said, or are especially helpful in some way to someone, or that touch me in some way, or give well thought out advise to someone who requested advice.

I think the poster referred to as not wanting hearts was not that she did not want hearts, but that she did not want the notification that pops up at the bottom of the screen as you are reading the forum.

@KathyM23...I know who you are referring to, but I am referring to a different poster. The one you are referring to is on my ignore list.LOL. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@KathyM23 wrote:

@KathyM23...I know who you are referring to, but I am referring to a different poster. The one you are referring to is on my ignore list.LOL. 

You beat me to it. Yes, as far as I recall, different posters.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

when i give a heart, it's either in agreement, in empathy, at times sympathy. it's a hug, a high five, a cool post. a thanx for the heads up, a good for you, an i'm happy for you, or thanx for making me smile or laugh. it means several positive things to me and many times a heart alone says it all. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I agree with what @freakygirl wrote. 

I hope I am generous with hearts but I don't expect them in return either. 

When posters request no notifications or hearts than I am happy to honor their requests. 

I don't post to accumulate hearts either.

I enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you