Honored Contributor

Re: The History Of Measles In America

Hi mstyrion Smiley Happy

Wow, I had high fevers too, but not that bad!  I know you had to have felt terrible. 

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

JJM, re:

"Not that it matters, but I have a Bachelors in Nursing from an acredited 4 year University and I spent many years working in Medical/Surgical and finally Pediatric Nursing as my occupation.

I hardly think I am a less informed individual."

Don't take it personally, apparently she doesn't recognize the CDC as experts, either.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Uggg.  I recall having the measles three times as a child. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would think that any well-informed person in a developed, 1st world country really ought to know how communicable and dangerous the measles can be.

I personally also think that people ought to know the impact which measles had upon populations, including that of the USA, until not all that long ago.

I don't think it takes or should take medical credentials to know what can affect, afflict and.or otherwise impact one's life (not to mention the entire global population).

One can be well-informed on myriad things without necessarily needing to prove that one is an "'expert" in the field. In the end, we're all responsible for our own awareness of things in the world. Even an expert is meaningless if no one heeds or reads (or learns) from what s/he might know.

Its everyone's responsibility, especially if one is a parent perhaps, to know all about (or as much as possible) about a slew of things: from measles epidemics, to sex ed to drugs to what some hip hop artist might be trying to convey in his/her lyrics.

Does it make a parent a HIP HOP artist to know what "all the kids are listening to"? No.

But one just might come out the other end becoming more of an expert on the subject than you think...but only if you observe, listen, read up on things and try to understand how things of the world do affect us all.

What it takes to become an "expert" might be one thing. But what it takes to be a responsible, educated, aware and even "enlightened" person is often something else completely. We should all aim for that (about a lot of things).

IMHO

And I would say that with the 4th of July tomorrow, when we celebrate our independence and freedoms, we really ought to be grateful to live in a culture which has such access to communication as it is key to educating more people than this globe has ever seen before. You have a Right to the Pursuit of Happiness. But that's impossible to achieve if you die of, oh, like, the measles.

Happy 4th. I'm oughta here cuz I have some me'chicken and shrimp to marinate now. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

As a child in pre-vaccine days, I had measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough. I got a mild case of whooping cough after I'd been given a DPT, so I must have been exposed and not gotten much immunity.

I was always told I'd had rubella, but when my job required rubella immune titers several years ago, I discovered I had NOT, in fact, had it and was happy to be immunized. As I recall, I felt worse with chicken pox than measles, but the mumps was nasty.

Just because I survived them all with no after-effects, however, does not mean that every person, child or adult, would be so lucky. Vaccines are a good thing, for the common good.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all