Honored Contributor

The Difference: World Coin Jewelry

I just purchased my first piece of world coin jewelry at an art show in Pennsylvania -- (www.DifferenceCoin.com). Based in Feeding Hills, MA their jewelry is intricately cut from a coin, hand sawn and finished with 14 karat gold and rhodium. I got the Tree of Life piece.

From the DifferenceCoin website: "... One of the most challenging aspects of my business is searching for just the right coins for our jewelry. I've spent the better part of 35 years going through coin books, looking for the coins that I believe would make the most beautiful pieces when cut out. Next, I search for those coins. Because so many of the coins that we use are very old and out of circulation, this entails spending a great deal of time at coin dealers, coin shows, and nowadays on the Internet, to find the pieces we need.

The actual work of hand-cutting a coin is done by drilling the coin in the areas that are going to be removed. After this step comes the actual cutting of the coin, which involves using a jeweler's hand saw to remove the areas of the coin needed to release the design of the coin. This process has been done for years and is an age-old art. Coins have been around for thousands of years and have always been used in one form or another in jewelry.

The next process is the finish work that we perform on the jewelry. The coins are finished in 14 karat gold and rhodium, and are fully guaranteed for life..."

Does anyone else have a piece of their jewelry?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~