Honored Contributor

Re: The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

@Sooner it's pretty obvious that you've never used Uber by your opinion and lack of facts concerning this service. It's all done on line and the passengers know who will be picking them up and what type of vehicle that will be transporting them. I suggest a little research before giving your opinion on Uber. Besides cell phones are quite a handy tool if any problem arises, like taking a photo of license plate, driver and car! Not all taxis are yellow or marked as a taxi either!

@chrystaltree speaks from experience do you?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  @chrystaltree

I simply don't care for the Uber concept.  Is that ok with you?  I'm sure we have a lot of likes and dislikes that are similar and many that aren't.  Not everything a person does makes sense to someone else.  I wouldn't jump out of an airplane and could think of a lot of reasons why not.  MANY people don't feel that way. It doesn't mean one is better informed or smarter.  It means what risks or perceived risks someone is willing to take.

We all operate that way.  We look at information and decide what we think is valuable.  So no name calling please.  Silly to you, uninformed to you, it all may be different for each of us.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I simply don't care for the Uber concept.  Is that ok with you?  I'm sure we have a lot of likes and dislikes that are similar and many that aren't.  Not everything a person does makes sense to someone else.  I wouldn't jump out of an airplane and could think of a lot of reasons why not.  MANY people don't feel that way. It doesn't mean one is better informed or smarter.  It means what risks or perceived risks someone is willing to take.

We all operate that way.  We look at information and decide what we think is valuable.  So no naIt's a whole new world out there and Uber has absolutely nothing to do with jumping out of planes LOL!me calling please.  Silly to you, uninformed to you, it all may be different for each of us.

It's a whole new world out there, Uber and other car services are our future. It has nothing to do with jumping out of planes LOL!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Uber, as far as getting in to a car with strangers, cab drivers are strangers too.

I understand there will always be resistance when it comes to trying new things.

With Uber, you know who is coming to pick you up, you are sent their profile with photo, you know what car they are in so there is no chance of getting in to the wrong car,

You can read comments on them from other riders, with taxis if the guy is a jerk you won't know until you're in the cab.

The car is always monitored by GPS, it can be tracked on the app at all times.

Uber vets their drivers. The cars I was in have always been clean.

The last one I took, the comments said that he was chatty and boy was he ever! LOL He was a pastor doing Uber part time and I enjoyed chatting with him about all sorts of things.

I have been in filthy yellow cabs, not most but yes some were really dirty so much that I had to complain.

Respected Contributor

Haven't used Uber yet, but have the app on my phone and plan to use it the next time I go to the Airport.

As to suffering cab drivers.  Well, yes, there is that.  But I don't see why that means I should pay twice the fare so that they can stay in business.  Sorry if that offends anyone.

Respected Contributor

Re: 🚕 The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

I use Uber, Lyft, car service and cabs, depending on the circumstances. For those not familiar with Uber or Lyft, they send you the name, phone numer, photo, description of the vehicle and license plate number. Sure, the driver is still a stranger, but so are the drivers of cabs and limos. I've never had a bad experience with Uber or Lyft, which is something that I CAN'T say about a cab. 

I can see why cabs are getting priced out of business in NYC. I use car service between the city & the airport there, and it's a flat rate of $40. Much cheaper than a taxi, I reserve it in advance, they watch my flight to make sure I've arrived, and then contact me to tell me where to meet the driver. Why would I want to pay more to take a cab?

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

Re: 🚕 The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

Many problems with getting a cab around here. Last time I needed one the first one I called never showed. The other ones didn't answer. The final call they just said they were to busy for me. Ended up hoping the bus. Uber wasn't available until a few weeks later because upstate NY has to fight for everything.

Also if you call a cab here good luck getting a direct trip to your stop. Usually they will pick up someone else along the way and then drop them off. Your 15 minute trip could turn into an hour and a half.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We all operate that way.  We look at information and decide what we think is valuable.  So no naIt's a whole new world out there and Uber has absolutely nothing to do with jumping out of planes LOL!me calling please.  Silly to you, uninformed to you, it all may be different for each of us.

It's a whole new world out there, Uber and other car services are our future. It has nothing to do with jumping out of planes LOL!

@JaneMarple  Well, yes actually it did.  It was an analogy about what people decide to embrace or not.  I think you didn't really read carefully or you would have understood the text because you are a smart person.  I'll try to make it simpler in the future.  My fault here. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner so far my best laugh of the week! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple  Well I hope so because I would hate to think you would make fun of someone just because they happen to not like something you like.  I don't think of you as that way.  So good to know.