Honored Contributor

🚕 The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

[ Edited ]

This is an interesting read from the NY Post. The writer of the article rode along with a yellow cab driver in NYC, and it was an eye-opener. I imagine this situation would be similar in any large city in the US. (The article is by John Crudele).

"If you want to know the effect Uber and Lyft are having on New York City’s yellow cabs, just take a ride to JFK’s taxi parking lot.

At any time of day, there are hundreds of cabbies waiting desperately, most of the time for hours, in hopes of grabbing the industry’s consolation prize — a $52 fixed fare back to the city.

Or go to any major hotel in Manhattan and look at all the taxicabs lined up outside. These cabbies are willing to wait for hours, hoping that when it is their turn, the passenger doesn’t just want to go 10 blocks.

With Uber and the other digital-based ride services scooping up more and more customers looking for cost-saving short trips around the city — and often doing it more cheaply than the yellow cabs — the taxi industry is in, to put it mildly, flux.

Chaos is a better word.

You’ve probably already heard the tales of woe: The price of medallions, which are the licenses to operate yellow cabs, have collapsed; taxi drivers are unable to pay their bills and New Yorkers are waiting on the street longer to hail a ride because so many cabbies are staying in those lines I just told you about.

Recently, I spent hours riding around with a cabbie I’ll call Ibrahim, a soft-spoken Pakistani-American who came here as a child. He’s been driving a cab for a just a few years in an industry where many of the cabbies are lifers.

To walk a mile in Ibrahim’s shoes I had to ride for miles in the shotgun seat of his cab.

I’m keeping his real identity secret because we talked about some things that the New York City Taxi & Limousine Commission wouldn’t be happy about.

Like other cabbies, Ibrahim started his 12-hour shift at 4 a.m. Journalists aren’t quite as hardy. I met up with him at 11 a.m. By then, he had picked up only four passengers, one of whom wanted to go to LaGuardia Airport, which isn’t as profitable as JFK because there is no flat rate. The meter runs for that one and it usually turns out to be cheaper.

As we cruise the streets, we are hoping to find folks with luggage, which indicates they might want to go to JFK or — if our luck is bad — maybe just to their Aunt Mary’s downtown.

Despite the fact that some potential customers look worried because I’m in the front seat, we manage to pick up two guys on Lexington Avenue with bags. They are going to JFK — bingo!

Our riders say they thought about using Uber but haven’t gotten around to it — at least not yet, they say.

It takes us a surprisingly short 30 minutes to the airport and the guys — who are headed on a long vacation in Europe — tip $13.

That’s much better than the 60-cent tip a guy gave us earlier in the day for a short jaunt downtown, or the buck-and-a-half gratuity that a woman gave us for a trip up to an East Side hospital.

On the hospital trip, Ibrahim accidentally ran a red light that had a camera mounted on it. He was distracted by the passenger giving him directions that he didn’t need. His GPS said there was a faster way, but he obeyed the passenger anyway and made a right on the red.

That’ll probably cost him a $50 fine, but luckily camera tickets don’t put points on your driving license. “It’s part of the business,” Ibrahim said. “I only worry about the points violations.”

Those are moving violations and require a cabby to hire a lawyer. Why not defend themselves? “Because the lawyer has connections,” says Ibrahim, who is the father of three and has grandkids.

After we dropped the European vacationers off at the Delta terminal, Ibrahim took me to the cab parking lot, which is on the grounds at JFK but not very close to the terminals.

It’s officially called the Central Taxi Hold Lot by the Port Authority, which runs the airport, and there is room for a maximum of 500 cabs. On the day Ibrahim took me there, about 300 cabbies had logged in via an E-ZPass-like system and were waiting to be summoned to the terminal to pick up passengers.

There are 13,587 medallion cabs in New York City. They are not competing for business with not only Uber vehicles but also nearly 39,000 black cars, 22,000 livery cabs, 288 commuter vans and 2,206 paratransit vehicles.

Most of the cabbies stayed in their vehicles at the hold lot, but there were also a large number of card and dominoes games going on around a small cafeteria where drivers got a chance to eat and pee — the latter not a small need for people driving for 12 hours a day. (Taxi drivers also often give tips to hotel doormen to serve as entry fees to lobby bathrooms.)

Port Authority makes the wait a lot fairer. If a driver happens to get a passenger who doesn’t want to go all the way into Manhattan, he can come back to the airport and get on the “shorty” line, which doesn’t require him to wait as long for his next chance at a Manhattan fare.

With cabbies hurting for fares, how difficult is it for them to illegally bypass someone with their arm raised in the street? I’ll examine that particular phenomenon in the next column."

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

Re: The Challenges of Driving a Yellow Cab in the Age of Uber

[ Edited ]

Interesting article. I live in center city Philadelphia and gave up my car about 5 years ago. I always choose a cab over Uber or Lyft services. Taxi drivers are fully insured professionals. I would rather support them then part time drivers who may or may not know their way around town. I've never had a bad experience with a cab driver in my city.

Honored Contributor

All I can think about Uber is sure, jump in the car with a stranger!  GREAT idea!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner We had an uber ride that was unplanned but it was the only way to get home.The car was small and not very clean.The driver was wonderful though.She was a young military wife with five children.She drives only when her DH is home to look after the children.She was very friendly and chatted to us the whole way home and so after that experience I would give uber another try.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

All I can think about Uber is sure, jump in the car with a stranger!  GREAT idea!  

Isn't the driver of a yellow cab a stranger also? In my mind it's the same thing! Have you ever used Uber? or ridden in a taxi? You take your chances with both, taxi drivers aren't what they used to be!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

i have used uber in major cities. when my daughter was in college she used uber often  my other daughter uses uber when she and her friends go out, so no one is drinking or and driving and no one has to find a place to park. we have never had any problems with uber drivers or cars. some of them are even so nice that they will wait in the driveway or street to make sure we get in the door safely.

drivers are required to have insurance and uber provides supplemental insurance while your app is active.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Since I don't own a Smartphone, guess I'll stick with cabs.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read the article but you could not PAY me to ride in a Yellow Cab or any other taxi.  Not since Uber and LYFT entered my life.  We have cars and hubby and I and all of our friends take LYFT and Uber when we want to go into the city and we don't want to think about parking and parking fees and it eliminates the need for a designated driver.  Everyone in the group can have a cocktail or two.  As for riding with strangers, that was silly comment.  Who knows the taxi driver when they hop in a cab...LOL   With the ride share companies, you don't need cash, not even for the tip.  The cars are always spotlessly clean.  The drivers all use GPS and know exactly where they are going.  And duhhh, passengers ride in the back seat which is comfortable without that huge ugly germ ridden plastic partition that the cabs have.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I didn't read the article but you could not PAY me to ride in a Yellow Cab or any other taxi.  Not since Uber and LYFT entered my life.  We have cars and hubby and I and all of our friends take LYFT and Uber when we want to go into the city and we don't want to think about parking and parking fees and it eliminates the need for a designated driver.  Everyone in the group can have a cocktail or two.  As for riding with strangers, that was silly comment.  Who knows the taxi driver when they hop in a cab...LOL   With the ride share companies, you don't need cash, not even for the tip.  The cars are always spotlessly clean.  The drivers all use GPS and know exactly where they are going.  And duhhh, passengers ride in the back seat which is comfortable without that huge ugly germ ridden plastic partition that the cabs have.  

@chrystaltree  NOT a silly comment. It's an opinion.  How do you know the car you are getting is an Uber car?  How easy would it be to fake that.   You are ignoring a lot of issues that are far more probable with Uber than with a cab from a known company.  Silly much?  Depends on who you talk to I guess.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree  NOT a silly comment. It's an opinion.  How do you know the car you are getting is an Uber car?  How easy would it be to fake that.   You are ignoring a lot of issues that are far more probable with Uber than with a cab from a known company.  Silly much?  Depends on who you talk to I guess.  

At least I have been in cabs, you have never been in a ride share car and don't have foggiest idea of what they are or how they work.  Which is funny, sorry it just is.  You are jumping to conclusions based on what you think you read somewhere.  How do you know that cab is actually a cab?  A mass murderer or escaped convict could have stole it or high jacked it. I'm taking LYFT to a medical appointment next week and I know it's my LYFT ride because when I order it on my smart phone, I get a picture of the driver, a picture of the car and the model and license plate number.  I don't get that with a taxi.  Also, I am ordering the car through an app which in real time shows me where the driver is and route he (or she) is taking and the ride share company has that exact same information...in real time.  Also....the cars are clearly marked with logo.  I'm am ignorning nothing but you giving an opinion based nothing.  Less than nothing actually.