Trusted Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving is coming, and........

215242697_4108012612581940_4925764206753113116_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

I haven't been home for Thanksgiving since Covid.  Frankly, I prefer it this way.  It's not hard to roast a turkey, mash some potatoes, and bake a few pies.

Trusted Contributor

96084906_2906739812709232_7159260520183234560_n.jpg

Trusted Contributor

156135436_3746017215448150_407159045772034042_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

@BoopOMatic   OMG, how cute is that!!

Honored Contributor

@vermint Told DH  this evening that Thanksgiving will be us and his elderly church friend. I will start preparing the side dishes that can be frozen like the dressing, and sweet potato casserole. Dessert will be only one pie . Meal will be served buffet style with nice but sturdy paper plates, flatware, clear 20 ounce plastic cups. Meat will only be the Honey Baked Whole Roasted Turkey. DH still insisted on fresh collards. I will do in advanced and serve in the small crock pot. Mashed potatoes will be instant that I can make taste as good. If food gets cold: reheat individual plates in microwave. Other options: eat out. No more working the week before and week of Thanksgiving to get everything done. No more Thanksgiving decorations except the turkey salt and pepper shakers. Also stated that changes will be made for Christmas like just one cake, fudge and not maybe one dozen cookies instead of 3 or 4 varieties.

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@vermint Told DH  this evening that Thanksgiving will be us and his elderly church friend. I will start preparing the side dishes that can be frozen like the dressing, and sweet potato casserole. Dessert will be only one pie . Meal will be served buffet style with nice but sturdy paper plates, flatware, clear 20 ounce plastic cups. Meat will only be the Honey Baked Whole Roasted Turkey. DH still insisted on fresh collards. I will do in advanced and serve in the small crock pot. Mashed potatoes will be instant that I can make taste as good. If food gets cold: reheat individual plates in microwave. Other options: eat out. No more working the week before and week of Thanksgiving to get everything done. No more Thanksgiving decorations except the turkey salt and pepper shakers. Also stated that changes will be made for Christmas like just one cake, fudge and not maybe one dozen cookies instead of 3 or 4 varieties.

@SouthernBee Good for you! Sounds like a very nice Thanksgiving and Christmas...and you won't be so exhausted.

We don't have potatoes for Thanksgivng, but I've recently discovered Idahoan and Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes and they are delicious! So many flavors to choose from, and they come in pouches of about 4 servings.

And just between you & me (wink, wink) my gravy base is Heinz Roasted Turkey Gravy that comes in a jar. I add some turkey drippings, cut up giblets and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Add a little milk or water if it's too thick. It's really good!

Honored Contributor

I tell this every year on the forum. It is about our traditional feast. One year (when we still had Mom w/us here on earth) I was in a wheel chair but we wanted her here for dinner. We had turkey TV Dinners and bought pies. She said it was the best dinner she ever had. We carry this tradition on still today and if you come for dinner you will have a TV Dinner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I don't think that is funny at all! Am sure that happens alot----I'll cook for you granny!!Woman Frustrated

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday--we will be going to my brothers for dinner--and I will cook a few side dishes to take--I used to cook a whole big meal, but not anymore-----

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I tell this every year on the forum. It is about our traditional feast. One year (when we still had Mom w/us here on earth) I was in a wheel chair but we wanted her here for dinner. We had turkey TV Dinners and bought pies. She said it was the best dinner she ever had. We carry this tradition on still today and if you come for dinner you will have a TV Dinner.

@Group 5 minus 1 - along those lines, one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever was in 2015.  My mom was already deceased and my dad had recently moved into assisted living close to us.  He had had a brain bleed.  He was doing well, but couldn't live on his own.  Oh, and my dad didn't really care for any holidays, especially Thanksgiving.  

My sister and her husband were going to be with her husband's family. 

I mentioned Thanksgiving to my dad and he just rolled his eyes.  I asked him what HE would like to do and he said "go to Waffle House" and so we did!  

It was packed and everyone was in a festive, talkative mood.  Not a Debbie Downer or "we'd like to be left alone" person in the place. Someone paid for our lunch as they'd heard my dad had been ill so then we paid for another table's lunch. Our waitress said people had been doing that all morning (we got there just before noon).

Only thing that kept it from totally being the best Thanksgiving ever was that my mom and sister weren't there. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?