Respected Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving food items may be in short supply!

Americans, and other first-world countries, eat like kings and our main food problem is obesity (and I'm just as guilty as everyone else).

Somehow I think we'll manage to have our usual Thanksgiving feast even if it's a 10-lb. chicken instead of a deep-fried turkey dripping in grease, along with green beans instead of huge servings of macaroni and cheese and maybe skip dessert altogether instead of a deep chocolate pie or--my favorite, I must confess--red velvet cake slathered in chocolate frosting.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like another attempt grocers or other food sellers to create demand earlier,  thus causing a rush to buy. I am not prone to panic, but will start looking for a turkey breast soon als I usually do...they are hard to find some years, and other years are plentiful. If there are no turkeys available, we will have chicken or a ham. No biggie since it looks like it will be just DH and me.

Respected Contributor

It’s at least 6 weeks too early for me to fret about this.
Honored Contributor

If food really is in short supply (it isn't, but anyways...), and we did it to ourselves by not planning ahead very well, that would be a strangely historically appropriate way to celebrate Thanksgiving.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I do recall a poster saying on another thread that she had a hard time finding cranberry sauce, sorry I forgot who it was.

I wouldn't worry about cranberries yet. The harvest of this year's cranberries has just been going on for the last couple of weeks. I expect to be seeing fresh ones in the stores soon and I am sure the Ocean Spray plant will be cranking up production. 

See the source imageA so
  •  
Honored Contributor

@debcakes wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I do recall a poster saying on another thread that she had a hard time finding cranberry sauce, sorry I forgot who it was.

I wouldn't worry about cranberries yet. The harvest of this year's cranberries has just been going on for the last couple of weeks. I expect to be seeing fresh ones in the stores soon and I am sure the Ocean Spray plant will be cranking up production. 

See the source imageA so
  •  

Are those your own pics, @debcakes?  I used to enjoy seeing the cranberries being harvested along the WA coast but the fields weren't as impressive as those in the pics.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   I doubt that most Americans eat deep fried turkey dripping in grease. Most of us eat roasted turkey and potatoes either sweet or mashed and green beans and cranberry sauce. I have never served or eaten macaroni and cheese at Thanksgiving.  But pumpkin pie or apple pie oh yeah.  One day of the year is not going to kill anyone. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your dinner. This is one day not to count calories or fat grams. But if you are worried about turkey with the timings enjoy your dinner of chicken and brussel sprouts. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten   I doubt that most Americans eat deep fried turkey dripping in grease. Most of us eat roasted turkey and potatoes either sweet or mashed and green beans and cranberry sauce. I have never served or eaten macaroni and cheese at Thanksgiving.  But pumpkin pie or apple pie oh yeah.  One day of the year is not going to kill anyone. I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy your dinner. This is one day not to count calories or fat grams. But if you are worried about turkey with the timings enjoy your dinner of chicken and brussel sprouts. 

@50Mickey  Very much the same as our Thanksgiving menus often are. Had a deep fried turkey once years ago but it wasn't dripping in grease. Ours are baked in the oven. Also never had Mac and cheese on this holiday.

Honored Contributor

Thanksgiving is really loaded with carbs anyway you look at it.  Only the Turkey is meat with a small serving of green veggies.  The rest is starch. Potato, endless version of bread.  Rolls, etc. Then desert with the sugar in full tilt.  So Thanksgiving is full of calories.  the rest of the year, it's still meat with potatoes again. Only a small serving of any veggie that is green. Or salads drenched in dressing.  Still high in calories.  I'm thin, but I still watch what I eat.  I never overeat. Evan on Thanksgiving.  I'll eat more meat & something green maybe, but no extra potato, stuffing, rolls, and no desert.

And there are shortages of food going on.  I shop at Wegmans a traditionally super big market (like Publix) and there are bare spots on the shelf.  Certain foods are hard to get.  Weeks go by before they finally appear.  COVID is the culprit for food workers anyway. Food is plentiful, but the trail to your table is spotty.

Respected Contributor

I don't care for and won't eat the vast majority of the components of the traditional Thanksgiving meal. I plan to do as I have for the past 15 or so years...go to the local seafood market a day or so ahead of time and get what looks good. Shrimp, stone crab claws, scallops...whatever they have. I'll fix it at my normal dinner time and be perfectly happy. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~