Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple, I may be mistaken but I believe I heard the prime minister say they were evacuating all residents from Barbuda to neighboring islands.  That would be the prudent thing to do in light of the threat Hurricane Jose poses.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I just saw on FOX cable a woman being interviewed outside of her house (piles of trash next to her).

She and her fellow neighbors had just had a huge neighborhood block party.  They'd cooked hot dogs, hamburgers, etc, set up tables and helped each other clean up their houses.

That's how some are cleaning up their own communities.  There is only a shell left in some of these houses, yet they keep going.

Americans are amazing....

Yes, Americans are amazing, along with the majority of people around the world that are struck by destruction.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 Thanks for posting that!  It was wonderful to see.  I think we need to see more of that, don't you think so?

They usually show so many angry people.  I sit here and can only admire people like that.  You have a right to be proud.  My guess is if they are friends of your daughter then your daughter is just as wonderful and amazing as this young woman.

There are so many good people in this country that other's never hear about.  Wonderful!

Somehow people think others are bragging when they talk about good stuff.  I don't know how that got to be that way.  I love hearing good things about people.  

Honored Contributor

There are Americans still on the island Saint Martin/Sint Maarten who can't get home because of Irma, is Jose threatening them as well?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@JaneMarple, I may be mistaken but I believe I heard the prime minister say they were evacuating all residents from Barbuda to neighboring islands.  That would be the prudent thing to do in light of the threat Hurricane Jose poses.

Rachel did a segment yesterday on Barbuda. The island is uninhabitable.  They moved everyone to nearby Antigua.

She spoke with the Red Cross director for Barbuda. It's total devastation there. He was spoke calmly but you could see the pain in his eyes. No complaining. Just dig in and get to work. It's heartbreaking. 

Honored Contributor

How about the poor Haitians who basically live in shacks that you could easily blow over?  They already have nothing.  Remember how devastated the island was after the earthquake seven years ago?  We all sent money to the Red Cross.  I just read where two years later, the Red Cross hadn't distributed that money.  Apparently they're good at collecting it but are clueless at administering it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Rachel did a segment yesterday on Barbuda. The island is uninhabitable.  They moved everyone to nearby Antigua.

She spoke with the Red Cross director for Barbuda. It's total devastation there. He was spoke calmly but you could see the pain in his eyes. No complaining. Just dig in and get to work. It's heartbreaking. 

Robert De Niro has pledged to rebuild Barbuda.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

How about the poor Haitians who basically live in shacks that you could easily blow over?  They already have nothing.  Remember how devastated the island was after the earthquake seven years ago?  We all sent money to the Red Cross.  I just read where two years later, the Red Cross hadn't distributed that money.  Apparently they're good at collecting it but are clueless at administering it. 

I read where the RC is much better at handling smaller emergencies, rather than these sizable natural disasters.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hait's government is notoriously corrupt.  A lot could have happened there.

The Red Cross is always first on the ground after a disaster.  They are consistently rated high on monitoring sites like Charity Navigator.

The Red Cross, however, does not have experience with rebuilding after  immediate emergency needs are met.  That is not their forte.  They don't know how to manage that.  There are other NGOs that are much better on that end.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Robert De Niro has pledged to rebuild Barbuda.

Wow! That's incredible. They showed "before" pictures last night. It looks like a jewel of a place.