Honored Contributor

My big question is when/if we ALL get tested, how will we know who has and has not been tested?

I fear the answer to that question.

edited to fix typo

Honored Contributor

@Mom2DogsI don't even need ALL -  but I'd sure like it to be more than practically nothing and then have someone who easily leads a sanitary life tell me it's safe to resume my previous life.

Respected Contributor

I was wondering the same thing.  Will they give you something to say you were tested?  Even so, if you are tested one day what's saying you don't get it a few days later.  It's a mess.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't think we are all going to be tested.

There will be no way to know who was or wasn't and it probably won't matter much anyway.  It appears you might not get a lifetime immunity from this virus.  You can get it more than once.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   I agree.

Trusted Contributor

What's up with how we still can't get tested unless we are already 99% sure we have it?Makes no sense.  It's not a perfect solution, but it could be 1 tool among other things that could help us get back on our feet.  It seems to me that it would be especially valuable to identify those who have no symptoms, but do have the virus.  

Esteemed Contributor

The more interesting question (in a perfect setting) is to identify the immune.  This can only done after they know how immunity works with this virus.  Or course with a vaccine.  Be a while.

Respected Contributor

The tests need to be approved formally, not with this Wild West fast-tracking the FDA is using. Otherwise, we're going to have people with false negatives who are actually transmitters who won't take precautions because they feel the negative result means they're no danger to anyone, and there you go with the spreading. 

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I was wondering the same thing.  Will they give you something to say you were tested?  Even so, if you are tested one day what's saying you don't get it a few days later.  It's a mess.

You could. It will take testing and contact testing on a massive scale so that they can identify anyone currently infected and isolate just those people and anyone who lives with them. If everyone who has the virus is identified and isolated, that will help us truly stop the spread. The countries that were able to do that have been much more successful at containing the virus than we have been.

It won't stop it entirely and I expect we're going to get waves of the virus coming through as new people enter. Even if you screen everyone exiting an airplane in your country or state, if they were exposed on the plane, they'll test negative because it's too early to identify. 

Honored Contributor

Like any other disease entity, the feasibility of testing the entire population is limited. More to the point, what about those who do not agree to get tested? Are they to be forced to? Are we then to all potentially be tattooed with who's 'safe' and who's not? Where does the line get drawn? From where I sit, testing is not the issue, preventing the illness and effective treatments should be the priority. At the snail's pace at which things seem to be moving, once these things are in place, a valid testing protocol, which is now lacking, will perhaps have been developed and testing, overall, will be less of a concern and will have fewer potentially negative social implications. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...