Valued Contributor

Termites are in our foundation

Help, so we took up the carpetong and had intended on laying tile but discovered a crack in the foundation, upon looking closely we realized there's termites down in there. We called the pest control company for help and a man set out two bait things hoping it kills them. 

He's coming back in two weeks, but meanwhile do we yank up all the rest of the existing flooring to see if we have more cracks/more locations of termites?

In two weeks what happens if they aren't dead? This is a brand new construction house, we just moved in back in August. 

What do you suggest, do we move for peace of mind as soon as we put tile down?

Honored Contributor

Re: Termites are in our foundation

Wasn't it inspected for termites before you bought the place?   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

When we built out house 22 years ago, we immediately started routine termite checks with pest control every year.  We had a minor infestation near our front porch and it was taken care of and we have been free and clear past 19 years.  It was an underground treatment and Well worth it.  Meanwhile, house next door didn't have pest control and the termites ate away at the  beams under the house to the point the floor was slanted.  They replaced the beams and flooring on that side of the house but it was because of structural damage.

See what the tech says. Most times when they treat and come out often for checks, you should be ok.  

Esteemed Contributor

In Arizona there are only two types of houses. Those with termites and those who will get termites. Our house is 35 years old. We had them 6 years ago. They put down Termador and that was the end of them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl 

In most states, a termite inspection is required to secure a mortgage, so new buyers will know about the termites/possible damage anyway.

As to removing the rest of the flooring, that depends on if you can live with the disarray until you end up having to have the house professionally exterminated, which means you can't stay there anyway.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I worked for our local Board of Realtors, which is where I get my opinion from.

Best of luck luck to you!

If it were me, I would cut to the chase and enjoy a couple of days stay at a decent hotel....."trapping" them just won't work, in my experience.

Ya'll can call it an 'occasion, even if there isn't one! The 'occasion' is that you 2  love each other to bits, LOL!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@gulf coast girl wrote:

Help, so we took up the carpetong and had intended on laying tile but discovered a crack in the foundation, upon looking closely we realized there's termites down in there. We called the pest control company for help and a man set out two bait things hoping it kills them. 

He's coming back in two weeks, but meanwhile do we yank up all the rest of the existing flooring to see if we have more cracks/more locations of termites?

In two weeks what happens if they aren't dead? This is a brand new construction house, we just moved in back in August. 

What do you suggest, do we move for peace of mind as soon as we put tile down?

~~~~~~~~~

@gulf coast girl 

I'm sad to hear abt this for you.

I'm not a big, knowledgeable "house person" but I do know, if you have WOOD mulch around, or near your house  *DITCH IT!*  It's a veritable picnic for termites!

I opt for "recycled rubber nugget mulch" so termites are not attracted.  At least that helps a little (or a lot.

Good luck, @gulf coast girl .  Hope all works out! ..

Esteemed Contributor

@gulf coast girl - We have a Pest Control Company that comes 4 x a year for regular pest control. Every 5 years he comes and treats for termites (he inspects every year for those). He is licensed and certified to treat for termites.

So, if the person you have is just a regular bug guy, you might want to find someone that specializes in termite control and is licensed and certified.

It is not an inexpensive treatment. Regarding your moving - I don't know if you can sell a house with termite infestation or if you need to correct the issue before you list your house. You probably would need to show a certificate that the house was treated.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gulf coast girl 

In your foundation? Brand new construction? Just wondering what state you live in. Most homes foundations are some form of concrete. Termites eat a lot of things, but cement is not 1 of them.

I can't imagine any company granting a mortgage on any building without it passing a termite inspection. I would hope, no matter where you live, this should be up to whomever sold you this house. Real Estate Agent/Broker, should take it to the General Contractor. 

What would I do? I wouldn't spend another penny or do any of the tearing up of anything. In the legal world that is called unobstructed evidence.

ETA:  I have signed a lot of legal documents in my days, but when buying our homes? Never signed so many papers in my life as with those Closing Papers.

My sister was a Real Estate Broker and knew all the Legal Jargon in those sheets. There was no way I would ever have closed on a home purchase without her, or an attorney.

I am not the dumbest guy on the block, but when it comes to these things? I will always have an expert to make sure I ain't getting the shaft. I learned this before I bought.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Our so called lender was supposed to order a termite inspection but honestly I don't have any idea if they ever did one. We looked through all our paperwork and nowhere do we see if we were charged for one. So maybe it's our fault if there wasn't an inspection done. 

Meanwhile we can't do anything else until the man comes back, but we have no flooring down in the hallway or bathroom, it's just the slab we're looking at. 

I tell ya, this is all we need, it's always something. 

Valued Contributor

yes hockeynut, they might not be eating any concrete but that's where they're coming up from, finding their way through the dirt and in through the cracks in the concrete. Have discovered two locations so far, in an inner hallway and out in the attatched garage. Swell...they must not pre-treat the foundations down here, we're in Florida