Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

Soda isn't food.

No one is banning it.

The hysteria is, well, hysterical.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

i don't drink it, but years ago I used to.  All day long.  Geesh, I used to down those saccharine laden drinks by the 6 pack, yuck. What was that other sweetener they took off the market?  Began with a C I think.  I haven't drank diet or other soda in maybe 9 years.  I think diet soda consumed everyday, even one is not good.  Like Chickenbutt said, one or 2 small a week could be a quenching treat for some.  I think tonic with a twist once in a great while is good for me.  I

don't approve of the artificial sugars myself, and I know one of my granddaughters has a reaction to nutra sweet, or aspartame. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tax on soda

[ Edited ]

I heard all the complaining when they did the same thing with cigarettes. 

Obesity is killing us, rapidly. Young children have medical issues that used to be seen in adults; diabetes 2 is rising to the point that it's more the norm than not. I went off sugar years ago due to health issues; same with caffeine. I don't do booze because my dad was an alcoholic. Tax booze over the top; no problem with it as I've seen the damage it does to many. 

Boo hoo. Geez, it's SODA. You don't need it to survive. The fact that people are whining about it shows just how addicted to it they are. 

The argument of "but what if they tax meat, tax something YOU like" means nothing to me. You adjust, you adapt. Many with health issues have HAD to do just that. It worked with cigarette's so why not? But as others have already shown, we HAVE TO HAVE our soda. It won't pass, it won't last and obesity rates will just keep on rising.

Honored Contributor

Well, I've paid extra taxes for my cigs. and I guess I'll someday pay extra for my Diet Cokes.  If it goes for a good reason ... no problem.  My choices on what I do, but it had better make a difference for the good and not just fill someones pocket.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Irshgrl31201

i don't drink it, but years ago I used to.  All day long.  Geesh, I used to down those saccharine laden drinks by the 6 pack, yuck. What was that other sweetener they took off the market?  Began with a C I think.  I haven't drank diet or other soda in maybe 9 years.  I think diet soda consumed everyday, even one is not good.  Like Chickenbutt said, one or 2 small a week could be a quenching treat for some.  I think tonic with a twist once in a great while is good for me.  I

don't approve of the artificial sugars myself, and I know one of my granddaughters has a reaction to nutra sweet, or aspartame. 

@shoekitty

Cyclamates.

Esteemed Contributor

Wonder what people would say is there was a tax imposed on each post made on the Internet.  After all spending to much time sitting in front of the computer is bad for your health.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Seattle has launched a huge tax on soda.   It  might stop people from drinking pop, more than likely they will just buy it elsewhere.

On January 1, Seattle had several new progressive laws go into effect. Along with mandatory paid sick leave, mandates for employers to post work schedules 14 days in advance, and severe restrictions on short-term rental platforms (Airbnb, VRBO, etc.), Seattle imposed a massive new soda tax — 1.75 cents per OUNCE on sugary drinks.

Yep, And i support it as a great form of revenue as well as a health measure, not just for the surgered pops but also for all the sodium in those drinks. Short term rentals needed to be regulated since there is a shortage of affordable permanent housing in the city, and landlord's often were renting substandard housing that didn't even meet code and were kicking tenants out of their apartments to focus only on the more lucrative short rentals with no dedication to upkeep. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The City of Chicago did this last year.  To conceptualize the actual cost of purchase, their sweetened beverage tax nearly doubled the cost of a 2 liter bottle of pop.  There were problems with certain points of purchase and their inaccuracies of what products they were charging the tax.  The public was also outraged with the tax.  The tax law ended up being rescinded.

All the problems in Chicago and this is what they spent the good people's time and money one? Geez.

Same for other cities. Let's not look at crime and poverty, and drug use and lack of jobs or good education and get cranked up about how much soda someone is drinking.

Just a small part of what is wrong with this country today. 

Honored Contributor

@wingnut wrote:

But yet.......Jan 27, 2017 - Officials in Seattle on Friday approved the nation's first “safe-injection” sites for users of heroin and other illegal drugs, calling the move a drastic but necessary response to an epidemic of addiction that is claiming tens of thousands of lives each year. The sites — which offer addicts clean needles, medical ...

Like I said.....

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

No problem with it. Sugar is proving just as deadly to us as cigarettes. Increase the price to the point that people will have to make different choices in their "snacks". I've yet to hear a doctor or any health provider say "MORE SUGAR. YOU NEED MORE SUGAR IN YOUR DIET."

More fruit, more vegis, more protein....yes. Not more processed junk snack cwap food.

I guess that is fine until they tax something YOU enjoy or like to eat.....  The city govenment has NO right to nudge anyone into not eating or drinking anything.  

They absolutely don't. This legislating diet is one great big mistake. 

Back in the day, when they started regulating smoking in public areas (not that I'm against it, as I don't smoke and smoke really bothers my allergies), it was warned that it would be just the beginning and would lead to the government legislating what you would be allowed to eat and drink in the future. 

The future is here. THey are trying to change habits/lifestyles by taxing, and when that doesn't work, they will simply legislate it out of (legal) existence.

This isn't the role of government at any level.