Honored Contributor

Re: Target Targets Universities

@jackthebear wrote:

there's a small concept Target next town to me,  it's OK

I go in and look

I don't buy consumables there HBA or household products I buy elsewhere, don't need kids stuff

there makeup is too expensive when there is a Harmon in the same plaza.

the housewares section is small/basic....I would sooner go to the cute 5&10 in town for similar

I guess you'd say I am not really a Target shopper.

I've never cared for Target. 

Our local store is really nice, clean, open, light etc. But is seems half empty and there really isn't much choice.

My son got a gift certificate one year when he was in middle school, and couldn't find a thing he was interested in buying.

I've tried, just don't care for it!

Honored Contributor

There's quite a Target boycott going on ... so I can understand them going after the college crowd.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

In 2014 Target opened a small store on the University of Minnesota campus with high-rise student apartments above.  My niece happens to live there. 

@magicmoodz

I think it's a great idea, it makes it so much easier on students... and their parents who end up mailing a lot of stuff to their student in college Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

There's quite a Target boycott going on ... so I can understand them going after the college crowd.

@ALRATIBA

The boycott has made no difference in Target sales.  In fact, their sales increased when the boycott began.

I did a google search update and the only reports that claim any impact are political sites, not credible news reports.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7

I don't pay much attention to the media ... I go to the source.

I won't go any big discussion ... but take a look at their 2016 Annual Report financial summary... down across the board vs 2015.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Noel7

I don't pay much attention to the media ... I go to the source.

I won't go any big discussion ... but take a look at their 2016 Annual Report financial summary... down across the board vs 2015.

@ALRATIBA

I hope you realize that is true for all large stores, some others are even closing hundreds of stores.

All reports have shown that is a result of online shopping, as with Amazon.

I would appreciate it if you do not bring more politics into this discussion, I'm sure you are aware of the rule against it and know you can take down an entire line by turning it political.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like that could be a good move for Target.  College kids need a store to purchase various items that are close, so it may end up being a great move on their part.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Now that's pretty cool. We don't have them here yet but maybe in the near future. We have those Walmart Express stores here right now.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Now that's pretty cool. We don't have them here yet but maybe in the near future. We have those Walmart Express stores here right now.

@SilleeMee

What is a Walmart Express store?  Just a smaller version of Walmart?

We don't have any Walmarts near here.  The closest one I know of is about an hour's drive from the city.

There is a small Costco in town, the city officials are against big box stores.  I can see why, we are surrounded on three sides by water and the forth side is a line to a different county.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7,

They are very similar to Walgreens stores. There's a pharmacy, a grocery section, deli, coin-op services, check cashing, small garden center and ATM. They are called "Walmart Neighborhood Markets".  We have three stores here and they vary slightly on what they offer and sell. They stay open until midnight or close to that.