Honored Contributor

I don't know if SF is the test run, but Target just opened one of their new smaller stores next to SFSU.  They are aiming at the university population, concentrating on clothes and food.

They also adopted a nearby elementary school with a generous grant and supplies for that age group.

Our daughter went there this morning and loved it.  They have other things, of course, make-up, kitchen supplies, etc. She FaceTimed me so I got to see most of the store, including the ready-made fresh food: mac & cheese, lasagna, enchiladas, portobello chicken, etc.

There are also a lot of older folks in that area.  I can see them using that store, also.

It's close to a Trader Joe's store.  Both Target & TJoe's figure they compliment each other since the foods are not the same, and that each one will increase sales for the other.

Respected Contributor

Re: Target Targets Universities

Our local university is also getting a small Target Store near the university (opening in 2019).  It is supposed to give a "quick trip shopping experience".  I can see it being successful as there are no stores like that within walking distance of the university. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Our local university is also getting a small Target Store near the university (opening in 2019).  It is supposed to give a "quick trip shopping experience".  I can see it being successful as there are no stores like that within walking distance of the university. 

Hi @itsmagic

I think it's a great idea!  Just the other day on Chat, I was saying how important ready-made fresh food has become in the Bay Area.   Most people don't have time to shop, prepare food and do the clean up.  Or just don't want to spend their time doing that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It must be a marketing strategy for Target.  There's one in the middle of the college area in Boston.  It's a great Target and it caters to the student population and also to young professionals who live in the area.  It has great grocery section and frozen food aisles and prepared meals.  Target is opening small store in my little town, it's supposed to be an easy in-easy out concept.  They worked with the town to maintain the "small town" look so that it would fit in and look like it belonged.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It must be marketing strategy for Target.  There's one in the middle of the college area in Boston.  It's a great Target and it caters to the student population and also to young professionals who live in the area.  It has great grocery section and frozen food aisles and prepared meals.  

It's a great idea, imo.

Last year, Target had a pop-up store downtown just for Christmas, specializing in holiday gear, gifts and clothes.  It was just there for a couple of months, another great idea imo.

Honored Contributor

there's a small concept Target next town to me,  it's OK

I go in and look

I don't buy consumables there HBA or household products I buy elselwhere, don't need kids stuff

there makeup is too expensive when there is a Harmon in the same plaza.

the housewares section is small/basic....I would sooner go to the cute 5&10 in town for similar

I guess you'd say I am not really a Target shopper.

Valued Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

there's a small concept Target next town to me,  it's OK

I go in and look

I don't buy consumables there HBA or household products I buy elselwhere, don't need kids stuff

there makeup is too expensive when there is a Harmon in the same plaza.

the housewares section is small/basic....I would sooner go to the cute 5&10 in town for similar

I guess you'd say I am not really a Target shopper.

I don't shop Target either. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 2014 Target opened a small store on the University of Minnesota campus with high-rise student apartments above.  My niece happens to live there. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting concept.  Target will test it SF and see how well it is accepted.  If it does well, Target will then build more stores.  Target is one of my favorite storesCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a Target within walking distance to campus at Ohio State, literally a 5 minute walk.  When all 10K of the student dorm population moves in, anything they forget are referred to Target, righ across the street.  This Target is huge and has been there for years.  Everything they need and then some, food included for apartment dwellers.