Esteemed Contributor

@germanshepherdlove , No worries, I was hoping you wouldn't mind. It didn't change the gist of your post at all, I just thought there might be someone wondering who you referencing. It was kind of a fluke that I happened to see a clip of that conversation this morning. 

What struck me about it was how civil the two were despite their differing povs which isn't always the case with that particular host. It was refreshing. Although, had the conversation gone on for much longer...who knows? Maybe all hell would have broke loose! jk! Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Also let's not forget those of us who can be very sick and not run a fever at all....

My Dad was the same way.  He was at a Skilled Nursing Facility and would be sick enough to be admitted to a hospital (years ago) but run NO FEVER.  No one would ok him going to the ER as he was getting worse and worse, no matter how many times I told them he did not run a fever.  They never wrote it down anywhere because no one believed me!!  It was a horrific two years.

I run kind of cold, my normal temp being around 95 - 96...

Taking a temperature is better than nothing.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It's a good way to identify workers who are going to work sick. It happens a lot, especially in part time and hourly jobs where they really can't take time off to stay home and be sick. HR or management can stop them at the door and send them home.

It's useful. If someone considers a normal temp as a reason to be falsely confident, well they are probably like that all the time anyway. I would wonder what would happen if someone were tested mid hot flash, though. The reaction and recognition might depend on whether the temp monitoring person were a middle aged or older woman or not.

A bacterial infection such as a UTI can cause a fever, should a person be sent home for that?

They should be sent to a doctor and get on antibiotics before the UTI gets worse and goes systemic or shuts down their kidneys. They should be resting.

If anyone has a fever anywhere near COVID territory, they are too sick to be at work -- or out playing at a bar.

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

It's a good way to identify workers who are going to work sick. It happens a lot, especially in part time and hourly jobs where they really can't take time off to stay home and be sick. HR or management can stop them at the door and send them home.

It's useful. If someone considers a normal temp as a reason to be falsely confident, well they are probably like that all the time anyway. I would wonder what would happen if someone were tested mid hot flash, though. The reaction and recognition might depend on whether the temp monitoring person were a middle aged or older woman or not.

A bacterial infection such as a UTI can cause a fever, should a person be sent home for that?

They should be sent to a doctor and get on antibiotics before the UTI gets worse and goes systemic or shuts down their kidneys. They should be resting.

If anyone has a fever anywhere near COVID territory, they are too sick to be at work -- or out playing at a bar.

Yes, I think that the temp taking would be a win/win.  Find out what the reason for it is and then treat it.  COVID-19 or not.

Okay, let me pose this then.

Hot flash due to menopause.

There is nothing to treat.

So, fine.  What's the problem>

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

OK, got it.

It's not foolproof so we just won't do it.

Typical.

I'm done here.

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Yes, I think that the temp taking would be a win/win.  Find out what the reason for it is and then treat it.  COVID-19 or not.

That's just it, there is no problem.

People are going to be sent home because they are having a hot flash?

The thermometer that just scans the forehead, scans the surface temperature of the skin.

If you really want to know the core body temperature, you need to use a thermometer that inserted in to an orifice, such as mouth, ear, or......

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

So now you feel it is appropiate to deny a person a days pay or refuse service to a customer based upon a temperure?   Watch the lawsuits for that one. 

As pointed out a simple asprin will control a fever, allowing anyone entry. 

@CrazyDaisyThis may shock you, but I like rules. In moderation. It's fine if you don't. A business can send a worker home for breaking the dress code. So can a bar, for that matter. Freedom doesn't mean people can't set rules for what they will and won't allow on their property.

Companies are not in the business of medicine.  They do not have the right to take random symptoms, then determine who can or cannot participate based on that.  Random rules are meaningless 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: Taking Temperature

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

That's just it, there is no problem.

People are going to be sent home because they are having a hot flash?

The thermometer that just scans the forehead, scans the surface temperature of the skin.

If you really want to know the core body temperature, you need to use a thermometer that inserted in to an orifice, such as mouth, ear, or......

@Anonymous032819 

Incorrect.  The forehead thermometer takes the temperature of the temporal artery.

High accuracy, second only to rectal thermometer.  That's why medical offices use them

I know you're looking for an argument, you're always looking for an argument.  I just couldn't let false info hang there.

TTFN!

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Also let's not forget those of us who can be very sick and not run a fever at all....

My Dad was the same way.  He was at a Skilled Nursing Facility and would be sick enough to be admitted to a hospital (years ago) but run NO FEVER.  No one would ok him going to the ER as he was getting worse and worse, no matter how many times I told them he did not run a fever.  They never wrote it down anywhere because no one believed me!!  It was a horrific two years.

I run kind of cold, my normal temp being around 95 - 96...

Taking a temperature is better than nothing.

Sorry about your father. It's horrible when people won't believe someone who knows better than they do.

Re temp, I also run well below normal, in the same range as you. If I have a  temp of 98.6, I have a low-grade fever.

I also have constant headaches and usually take 800 mg of ibuprofen across a day. It can bring down fever. So between that and my low starting temp, even if I were sick, I probably wouldn't register above conventional normal.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree @QueenDanceALot 

The TAT, or Temporal artery thermometers-- often sold as forehead thermometers--use an infrared scanner to measure the temperature of the temporal artery in the forehead.

Arterial temperature is the same temperature as the blood flowing from the heart. It is not a measure of the temperature of the surface of your skin. 

Or in other words...listen to the kitty, lol. Smiley Very Happy