Trusted Contributor

TUESDAY UPDATE --- EMAIL TO BOSS....NOT SENT!!!

TUESDAY -- UPDATE....

First off, THANK YOU  to everyone for their honest and informative opinions.  I am really appreciatve.  Knowledge is power and having a group of ladies/gents who are willing to say....here is what i think....I am very appreciative...

Well, I did NOT SEND ....the draft email.

I know some of you are like ....THANK GOODNESS...

I took the great advice of many of my ladies/gents...

Also I did something I should have done from day ONE.... I read the agency Departmental Regulation for Reasonable Accomodations in extensive detail. Highlighting various topics, timeline for action, etc.

My doctor's note was written in Nov 9 2018 for only 3 months...meaning, the 3 months have practically passed.  The directive clearly talks about a timeline and taking immediate action within 30 days....SO....before I act out, I need to know the rules of the "party".

Please see below:

1) Not to be religious, but .....GOD places people in your path right before you ACT A FOOL, to warn you to STOP and think...

I have a coworker in my agency.... Ms. Beverly...who has a serious medical condition where she works from home 100%.  She is very sick, can't stand long, loose bowels, etc..... and I spoke to her today, she is weak, can't stand, and for whatever reasons...not my business to know...but she has not gone out on disability....so she was telling me...

If I can stand, I can work, be thankful.  If I need a day off, take a day's leave.  I have 721 hours sick leave..... She was practically crying to tell me, STOP this foolishness ...if you really are not in desperate need. 

Basically LIVE TO FIGHT the battle when you NEED TO///// not....now....just cause you have pride or want to make a POINT...

2) I had to be honest with myself, my back problems are very insignficant and I am not in "REAL" pain or any constant pain for that matter. 

Now someone is saying...why did you even apply.....I thought it was RIGHT at the time.

I work in an agency, where depending on your BOSS, you can get away with a lot of different things....I was focusing on the "OTHERS" who are doing it....and not the options that ....you might be the one .....that gets CAUGHT UP.....the agency can...upon certain circumstances....require that I go to THE AGENCY...MEDICAL DOCTOR...... which is written in my agency's Departmental regualtion....can my "situation" pass the TEST.  Yes my xrays show an "issue" but is it "BAD" that I need to FIGHT for this cause... 

You know the agency doctor works for the AGENCY....so what was he going to say??? Obviously, not in my favor.

As an experienced union person posted in my request for help....Many employees are not really SICK...... but their doctors will complete the required paperwork....so they are on a reasonable accomodation but don't need to be....

I had to be HONEST with myself,

1) Is this a battle worth......... fighting if I am not true pain or in need of a RA?

2) If I lose this battle and have to work here, how will things be?

3) if the agency ....requires that I go to THEIR MEDICAL DOCTOR, which is written in my agency's Departmental regualtion....can my "situation" pass the TEST.

4) Do I want the unnecessary drama.

SO...After much reflection, I decided to not send the email.

NOW...THE OFFER....to telework now 1 day a week without going RA.

I decided to NOT Take that offer either...This might sound crazy to people who have not worked in dysfunctional places but....sometimes everything FREE is not GOOD.

What that means is, sometimes when someoene offers you something.... you have to weigh...the cost of that free item.

I don't want to "OWE" him where he can call me to do anything outside of my job duties. YOU say what do you mean?

Well, they are having secretarial problems, so then he might later ask me to cover the front desk....then I would feel....well....

Also I'm listed as a witness in an EEO Case (for those who don't know about that posting) that was a few weeks ago....so could this be a trick....so when the investigator asks me "CERTAIN" questions...I'm obligated or feel some "obligation" to not tell...

This might sound silly to some but....here is the question...

Should I email him that I'm not going to accept the offer and if so how? Or just say verbally....

Well, all comments welcome!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: TUESDAY UPDATE --- EMAIL TO BOSS....NOT SENT!!!

[ Edited ]

Being the wife of a US Govt employee my advice would be send a reminder e mail,

Just a reminder -- as per our conversations I will be taking every xxx for my PT appointments.

Remember KISS - keep, it, simple, stupid,     do not over embellish or elaborate

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a former Gov't employee, this is one of the most insightful and thought provoking post I have read since being on this board. I agree with your post 100% and hope things get better on the job. I totally know what it is like to work in a dysfunctional environment and have seen how the system treats people who are in need.

I think you have made the right choice and whether you know it or not have gained new insight that can help others in the same situation. I would send a short and sweet email stating you have decided to not take the offer at this time. Wishing you the best!

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

As a former Gov't employee, this is one of the most insightful and thought provoking post I have read since being on this board. I agree with your post 100% and hope things get better on the job. I totally know what it is like to work in a dysfunctional environment and have seen how the system treats people who are in need.

I think you have made the right choice and whether you know it or not have gained new insight that can help others in the same situation. I would send a short and sweet email stating you have decided to not take the offer at this time. Wishing you the best!

Absolutely.  

Best of luck to you, @Happiness Is Inside JOB !

Honored Contributor

Ofice politics are a minefield.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Ofice politics are a minefield.

This is the very reason I retired early.

Honored Contributor

Ooooh, so if I'm understanding this correctly, you really didn't need special accomodations?

It takes a big person to admit that.

I guess I wish there were millions more like you.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Ooooh, so if I'm understanding this correctly, you really didn't need special accomodations?

It takes a big person to admit that.

I guess I wish there were millions more like you.

I do have some irritation and inflammation and pain BUT.  It is not severe.  after I spoke to Me Beverly i realized.... there are many who can't walk, stand, etc and  WISH THEY COULD WORK.

Talking to her really changed my mind!

When I observed so many people.....who i know are Not sick.....their words.... in other offices getting reasonable accommodation i thought well you can get one also.

So adult peer pressure

But it did not work out for me and I did not want to fight the issue.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Wow, I am impressed @Happiness Is Inside JOB with your honesty to yourself.  Best of luck and thanks for keeping us updated on this very private part of your life.

Respected Contributor

I can understand that you may not have been aware of your organization’s policy on RA, but the RA Officer should have advised you of it, especially any timeframe requirements. This could have prevented a lot of anxiety on your part and you could have started your pt sessions shortly after your doctor prescribed them. 

Good luck as you move forward.