Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Kitcat51, you sure don't have any empathy, do you?

These people (and many others) had to wait a long time to get paid (without knowing how much longer they were going to have to endure this almost moneyless state).

How can you be so cold?

(ID2's attitude is also self-serving. I appreciate the OP's post!)

@insomniac2, Like you, and many others, my heart went out to every person and family affected by this furlough.  Other people just lack empathy, I guess.  But if it were them....oh my.  When missing a paycheck was reported on the news, some failed to mention that it was for a 2 week period.  For those who had to work, they also were forced to pay their usual working expenses, such as gas, child care, etc.  Heard on the NBC Lester Holt news last evening that a record number of guns were confiscated from carry-on bags last year.  Some 4,200.  And some were loaded.  Does that give anyone pause?

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

There are plenty of important things to be upset about, that one doesn't make my list. They worked, got paid, done...fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

If going without pay for 35 days doesn't affect you, you don't care?  Sure, they got get back pay but they also went 5 weeks without any pay.  It's possible to be empathetic about a lot of things at the same time.

Respected Contributor

Re: TSA Officers

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

Kitcat51, you sure don't have any empathy, do you?

These people (and many others) had to wait a long time to get paid (without knowing how much longer they were going to have to endure this almost moneyless state).

How can you be so cold?

(ID2's attitude is also self-serving. I appreciate the OP's post!)

@insomniac2, Like you, and many others, my heart went out to every person and family affected by this furlough.  Other people just lack empathy, I guess.  But if it were them....oh my.  When missing a paycheck was reported on the news, some failed to mention that it was for a 2 week period.  For those who had to work, they also were forced to pay their usual working expenses, such as gas, child care, etc.  Heard on the NBC Lester Holt news last evening that a record number of guns were confiscated from carry-on bags last year.  Some 4,200.  And some were loaded.  Does that give anyone pause?

What gives me pause is what they don't catch. On an average day, 1.73 million people board domestic flights within the US. That's nearly 632 million passengers per year (source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics). 4,200 is statistically insignificant. Air Traffic Controllers, Federal Air Marshalls and FAA inspectors all worked with out pay during the shut down as well. The FAA inspectors were originally furloughed but then called back to work when the airlines said it was becoming dangerous to fly without them being on the job. As I said before, I'm all for efficient and effective airport security. The TSA is neither. 

It's awful that anyone had to go without pay. I have a family member who was affected. I know how difficult it was. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~