Trusted Contributor

Re: TREE AT ROCKEFELLER CENTER

New York City is wonderful this time of year. I live here and every year I see all the sights mentioned by the OP, though I don't eat at Carmine's.  The subway is convenient and thrifty for travel. 

My favorite sight is the big tree and I never miss a trip to see it every year.  I'm no tourist as a resident of the city, but it's still thrilling. Ditto for the annual Tuba Concert and the Christmas Show at Radio City.

I do avoid any of the crowd and celebration of New Years Eve. I'm way too old for the chaos and I can't stay up that late to watch the ball drop! 

Wishing everyone wonderful holiday celebrations, and a safe and healthy new year. 

Honored Contributor

@bronxgal1 I was born and raised in the Bronx lived there until 93 when I got married. Now live in slighoty northern Burbs

I am having some medical issues and the crowds and diseases fightenen me. Maybe next year I will be able to take metro north down and have some city fun

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

What a lovely day you had! Thanks for sharing a family tradition.

I visited NYC for Christmas a few years ago and there is no place like it! 

Trusted Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

New York City is wonderful this time of year. I live here and every year I see all the sights mentioned by the OP, though I don't eat at Carmine's.  The subway is convenient and thrifty for travel. 

My favorite sight is the big tree and I never miss a trip to see it every year.  I'm no tourist as a resident of the city, but it's still thrilling. Ditto for the annual Tuba Concert and the Christmas Show at Radio City.

I do avoid any of the crowd and celebration of New Years Eve. I'm way too old for the chaos and I can't stay up that late to watch the ball drop! 

Wishing everyone wonderful holiday celebrations, and a safe and healthy new year. 

When we lived in the city we went every year..don't forget the Dept. store displays.

Haven't been there in a long time..I grew up just a short subway ride away.

My kids years apart..got engaged under the tree and then went ice skating...They only realized that a couple of years ago.

Never had any desire to go to Times Square on New Years Eve..

Contributor

@bronxgal1 wrote:

**Just about every  year I go with my daughter, son in law and 4 grandsons to NYC.--for Christmas. We go other times also, but this is for Christmas.  We go to dinner at Carmine's on 44th st. The food is so unbelieveabley delicious!

***We walked to Rockefeller Center--the tree is magnificent!

***We then went to St. Patricks Cathedral. The church is always decorated beautifully!

*The creche is a must see! St. Patricks is very special to me--I graduated from there-- many, many, many years ago!! 

***Times Square was very crowded but there was a lot of security.

*We went to Bryant Park--on 42 st. They have a" Holiday Shopping". We had the most incredible hot chocolate--very expensive, but never tasted any hot chocolate so delicious!

*We had a wonderful day! 

How wonderful, I so enjoyed reading your descriptive outing.

Thank you for sharing.

Honored Contributor

I can appreciate and relate to all you said, bronxgal1.  I spent so many years, decades of being at NY and my favorite time was and has been the Christmas season!  I had the feeling of excitement when I was a youngster and still do seeing the tree, St. Patrick's, the decorations in the store windows, Macy's, the show at Rockefeller Center, there definitely is a feeling of Christmas in the air.

Thanks for sharing your uplifting post and bringing back many memories I cherish.  Love the Bronx and Brooklyn, I had two close girlfriends, still do , who lived there and I often visited.

Honored Contributor

Loved your description of all the fun things you did. NYC at Christmas would be a dream come true for this country girl.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you get the roasted chestnuts @bronxgal1 ? Even if you don't like them, there is something about walking around with that warm bag in your hand. I love the city. 

Frequent Contributor

I used to get those delicious nuts! Unfortunately, I can't eat nuts anymore!

* BUT--give me one of those scrumptious hot dogs--anytime--YUM! 

Honored Contributor

Better take pictures before some idiot burns it down or tries too again.