Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,626
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@esmerelda wrote:

@stevieb  But does it really help the bottom line?  I think not. 


@esmerelda  Oh, I don't think so either... As many points as they might score on one hand, they lose on the other, but I do think @Lali1 makes a valid point, that many of them feel they have to say something.... They don't and they really should realize that they don't... Just keep it zipped and do what you're in business to do...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 41,146
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

FOR ME, these types of things are just "little annoyances" at the most.  i dont let it ruin my day or bother me in any way. it all has to do with marketing and letting your customer know that you are as concerned as they are.

********************************************
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,291
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I just ignore it. They use causes as a trend. What will they be doing to highlight or find solutions for a cause after the media drops it and moves on to the next? Nothing. Like it never happened.


@Nancy Drew 

 

I agree. I give it six months and we will be saying "George who?" That is a painful commentary, but it has been proven we have a very short attention span.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,114
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

@stevieb wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@stevieb  But does it really help the bottom line?  I think not. 


@esmerelda  Oh, I don't think so either... As many points as they might score on one hand, they lose on the other, but I do think @Lali1 makes a valid point, that many of them feel they have to say something.... They don't and they really should realize that they don't... Just keep it zipped and do what you're in business to do...


I have a friend on social media who often tells me about what's going on in the fiber artist community, We both knit and crochet and she follows them. She says small fiber artists businesses are being bullied into making statements. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,114
Registered: ‎08-21-2014

@esmerelda wrote:

@stevieb  But does it really help business?  I think not. 

edited because 🙄


No it does not. All it does is stop them from being pestered on social media. 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 918
Registered: ‎04-21-2010

The virtue signaling is mind numbing.  ☹️ 

 

I’ve gotten a lot of the same emails and unsubscribe.

 

I was sad to see a youtuber I occasionally watch get a lot of ‘shaming’ because she did not address current events during a recent live stream.  Many comments said she should be using her platform to inform, support, etc etc., and because she didn’t, some  were unsubscribing and a lot of people gave her downvotes.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,626
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@sunshine45 wrote:

FOR ME, these types of things are just "little annoyances" at the most.  i dont let it ruin my day or bother me in any way. it all has to do with marketing and letting your customer know that you are as concerned as they are.


It surely doesn't ruin my day either and yes it is marketing, pure and simple... That said, it does strike me as presumptuous that in their infinite wisdom they'd deign to think they know what this customer is concerned about and what she isn't...  Again, there's an assumption being made based on the most prominent narrative being put forth...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Posts: 65,626
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Re: THIS is what offends me

[ Edited ]

@Swedishmiss wrote:

The virtue signaling is mind numbing.  ☹️ 

 

I’ve gotten a lot of the same emails and unsubscribe.

 

I was sad to see a youtuber I occasionally watch get a lot of ‘shaming’ because she did not address current events during a recent live stream.  Many comments said she should be using her platform to inform, support, etc etc., and because she didn’t, some  were unsubscribing and a lot of people gave her downvotes.

 


@Swedishmiss... Utterly ridiculous that anyone should have to put up with such utter and complete nonsense...


In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,216
Registered: ‎08-02-2010

Re: THIS is what offends me

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda no one should have been held like George Floyd who was murdered by police.  This should never happen again to anybody, anywhere on this earth and I will work with anyone who wants to  make sure.  Despicable.  But I do not like the messages that invade my space unless I ask for an opinionl  And the message should be all inclusive.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,458
Registered: ‎06-10-2015

Re: THIS is what offends me

[ Edited ]

I remember some particularly obnoxious messaging coming out of a spice seller in the midwest. I unsubbed and stopped buying from his firm because he was so unprofessional, even though I was sympathetic to some of the messaging. Then there's another company I have bought from in the past in a completely different category. I came to know that their owners have a very specific leaning that is unlike mine, but you'd never know it from their catalog, website, or communications. I have no problem continuing to patronize that firm.

 

Opportunism is what we're seeing here, using a perceived bent in current opinion to claim some kind of virtue credit. Taking advantage of this particular event and moment to enhance your commercial value is sordid. I'd not only unsub (and be sure to mark the messages as spam as well), I'd blacklist the company.