Esteemed Contributor

Re: THIS is what offends me

[ Edited ]

@Sooner @esmerelda  I agree with both of you.  Businesses are expected to be ethical and I do not need to read endless emails about how they are with any group.  Just sell your product, which is what you are in business to do.  Same thing with those who state something that they believe and it offends everyone and they feel that they have to apologize.  We all have opinions and should not have to apologize for them because someone is offended.  People can pick apart anything and find something offensive.  I blame social media, many cable channels, and the educators who have never done anything except go to school for the inability today for many to not be able to agree to disagree without the nastiness, name calling, and violence.

I know that I am going to hear about this from teachers, but as a retired one, I firmly believe that every educator must have other work experience.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@Lali1 Of course it's forced. These companies want to appear "woke" (eyeroll).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@esmerelda  I completely agree. Businesses (and also unrelated charities, among other entities) have inundated their customers (and contributors) in recent days and weeks with several, for want of a better term, 'position papers', outlining their perspective on, shall we say, current events... It's a big who cares moment for me, an annoyance, an irritation and is objectionable,  bordering, as you say, on being offensive. Several came with the 'unsubscribe' link immediately following the message, which was a really dumb thing to do.... They made it so easy...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

Social media is far too powerful. Everyone is feeling extreme pressure to tow the line. I'm glad I've been off Instagram for ages. A lot of bullying going on there. People are only allowed one opinion. 

@Lali1  Please do not include me in your 'everyone'. Some people aren't attached to social media like you seem to be. People allowed one opinion? I think you are painting with a pretty broad brush. Yours. I realize some people are not confident in their own beliefs and opinions and try to work as hard as they can to get everyone on their side. Doesn't work that way. ETA. I gave up email years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda I agree esme.  i have received several almost identical missives from J.Jill, J.Crew, Anne Taylor, Food 52, Loft, etc. All are almost identical.  Seems as though all received talking points from someone.  i wonder who. Some have said they were donating money to the cause.   I have already unscribed and replied for them to also support the small busness and large business owners who's businesses have been destroyed as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@tobes Kudos!  I made the same suggestion!

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Social media is far too powerful. Everyone is feeling extreme pressure to tow the line. I'm glad I've been off Instagram for ages. A lot of bullying going on there. People are only allowed one opinion. 

@Lali1  Please do not include me in your 'everyone'. Some people aren't attached to social media like you seem to be. People allowed one opinion? I think you are painting with a pretty broad brush. Yours. I realize some people are not confident in their own beliefs and opinions and try to work as hard as they can to get everyone on their side. Doesn't work that way. ETA. I gave up email years ago. 

Oh for Pete's sake. Whatever. I'm not even going to do this with you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just ignore it. They use causes as a trend. What will they be doing to highlight or find solutions for a cause after the media drops it and moves on to the next? Nothing. Like it never happened.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

It's like some have just edited that "we're in this together" coronavirus message to fit the next cause.  Comes across as disingenuous to me.  

I feel it's forced. Like I mentioned in my previous comment. You have to do it or else. 

@Lali1 It is forced and it's part of the larger game being played, not just by social media, but by media in general, the ad agencies, the entertainment industry and big business to engineer public opinion in the way they think it needs to go... Funny thing is, most of the moguls could probably care less about the jargon they spew forth, but they think it's good for business... Bottom line... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb  But does it really help business?  I think not. 

edited because 🙄

Keepin' it real.