Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell, Want to hear something amusing?  My copy of “Nicholas and Alexandra” by Massie arrived this afternoon from Amazon.  The other day, “Matriarch” - Queen Mary and the House of Windsor, arrived.  I am in the middle of reading

”Prince Charles” by Sally Bedell Smith.  It’s excellent.

I share your interest, and sadness, about the deaths of this last Russian royal family.  Simply brutal.  I did watch a documentary about the family not too long ago - wish I could recall the name and where I saw it.

I am drowning in books,  but keep buying more.  Some people aren’t happy unless there is a big pile waiting.  From Amazon, of course, and “used in good condition” mostly bought.

Contributor
Such an evil act to that poor family.
Thank you for post! Royal history always so interesting.
Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT  Off-topic, but have you ever tried Thriftbooks? They often have used books in very good condition for a few dollars. I've been very pleased with what I've bought from them.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@SharkE   I have requested from our library the book "George, Nicholas and Wilhelm Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I."  I'm looking forward to reading it.

@kaydee50 @SharkE  That was one of the best and most informative books I've read!  And I've read a lot! LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint, Thank you!  I will check them out.  What would life be without reading?  My mother’s cousin, who passed several years ago at 100, unfortunately lost her sight in her old age.  She loved “talking books,” providing her with endless hours of hearing wonderful books.

Honored Contributor

So many prolific readers on our board, wonderful.  @PamfromCT ,  hope you'll give your verdict on Massie's book when you're finished.

Honored Contributor

I remember seeing this book in the supermarket while shopping with my mother years and years ago and was fascinated by it, but it was judged I was too young to enjoy it, so never got it. Years later while studying Russian history I determined to read it, but my list of books for that and my many other courses precluded pleasure reading. Perhaps I'll check it out of the library now, if it's available. The history of Russia, overall, is a sad but fascinating one. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: THE ROYAL ROMANOVS

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures. The story of the Romanov family has always fascinated me and also saddened me. Those beautiful children were born into such privelege, but suffered with hemophilia and their horrific, tragic end.

I have seen television documentaries, but have never read

Massie's book. It will be on my "to read" list.

Right now, I'm reading The Habsburgs by Martyn Rady and last month finished The Borgias by Paul Strathern. Next, I

want to find a good book about the Medicis.

I have a set of Russian Matroyshkas of the Romanov family,

it includes a tiny Rasputin.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT  You are welcome! I could never afford to buy all the books I read at the price they are when new. Thriftbooks has been a lifesaver!

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I still remember the last scene of that movie .... shocking.