Honored Contributor

THE INTERNATIONAL SIGN FOR "HELP ME"

I did not know about this until today--  apparently there is an international hand sign that can be secretly given, to alert others to the fact that the signaller is in danger, being held against their will, etc.

If the perpetrator is not looking, the victim can silently raise a hand, fold over the thumb, and bring the fingers down over the thumb, to try to alert a passer-by that he/she is in distress, without the perpetrator, kidnapper or whatever, being aware of it. 

The video shows several scenarios, including one of a young girl presumably in the process of being kidnapped, able to give the sign to a potential rescuer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3KVlBkjDxc

In many situations of course, one wouldn't be able to do this without detection, but I can think of some, like in the video, where it would be so worth a try.  Good idea.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE INTERNATIONAL SIGN FOR "HELP ME"

@Oznell. Ineresting, but kind of useless if most people aren't aware of it!

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @Pearlee -- that's why I think there's a push on now from anti-violence groups for people to share the video on social media.  The video is visually not very good from a technical standpoint-- blurry etc.,  but it has an effective message if enough people see it.  I was getting chills when those victims were sending their silent pleas for help.... 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  And here for all these years I thought the international symbol for help was the Beatles album cover! 😁  

Honored Contributor

I'm sure that 99% don't know what that sign is so it wouldn't be of much use.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that 99% don't know what that sign is so it wouldn't be of much use.

If it were taught in schools and in self defense courses, that could help. And if Law Enforcement were all trained on it.

I can foresee a few amateur detectives scrutinizing video footage and reading some false positives in the future, but that risk might still be worth it.

Claudia~ #OperationMaskAmerica's tweet - "And here is the international sign  for #HelpMe " - Trendsmap

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Oznell, I've been hearing more about that. Our local news had something on it, and I saw it again on Facebook. I think eventually it will catch on, so thanks for posting that. 

Our favorite restaurant has a notice in the women's restroom along this line. If you are feeling unsafe about whomever you are there with, you should ask your waitperson for a "drink" called an Angel Shot. You can then be helped in a couple of ways. These are great ideas!

Honored Contributor

"Angel Shot"---   I like that, what a great signal, @Ruby Laine !

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all who posted this information.

@Ruby Laine  I wish more restaurants did this. 
What a great idea.

When my daughter was in the hospital to have her first baby, the nurse asked her privately if she was safe or in a dangerous relationship. This didn't apply to her, but I was appreciative that this is on the radar.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing, @Oznell . I wasn't aware. Too bad there aren't any public safety commercials showing this. And it could be taught in schools, daycares, etc.