Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@WenGirl42, I was going by @goldensrbest's post here in which she mentioned the favorite sweets thread.

That thread being reactivated had nothing to do with a troll, unless the troll’s post was deleted so that you couldn’t tell it was ever there. A regular poster to these forums posted in it, and it wasn’t a bump, it was a genuine post. That poster was accused of being a deliberate troll, though. As to why the poster chose that old thread, I don’t know - unless a moderator deleted a troll post and forgot to lock/poof the thread before they moved on.

@Moonchilde

The troll that was here this morning, was also bumping up old threads, by posting a few words on them.

The mods came along, and removed the post that the troll made in those threads.

So it looks like a regular poster brought up an old thread, when the truth is, they didn't, the troll did.

@Plaid Pants2, that’s the only thing I could think of that made sense. But it’s then unexplainable, AFAIC, why a moderator who could clearly see that a very old thread had been artificially bumped by a troll didn’t close the thread and move it, but instead just left it there. That makes no sense to me, honestly. IMO that should never be left like that. It can cause as much confusion as the troll, from honest posters.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 @Moonchilde Exactly. I reported the most recent of (I now realized was) bumped posts and suggested they look at ALL posts by this person. Overall it seemed obvious that this person had way too much time on their hands. Didn't take long before the Mod's pooper scooper had cleaned up the mess.

Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 @Moonchilde Exactly. I reported the most recent of (I now realized was) bumped posts and suggested they look at ALL posts by this person. Overall it seemed obvious that this person had way too much time on their hands. Didn't take long before the Mod's pooper scooper had cleaned up the mess.

Ok I have a question.  Assuming they don't actual post something against standards what is the point of it all?  Don't these people get their jollies from the attention?

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie Actually, what they were doing IS against standards, both bumping really old posts and their choice of topics. That's why the got deleted.

Oh, and @Moonchilde, in my post above, I wasn't referring to bumped posts. I think it's appropriate to delete posts by trolls that don't add anything meaningful (these didn't). But if others have then added comments, it becomes really subjective, really fast. Some topics could still be relevant and/or interesting and having the discussion continue in the same thread could be a good thing. Other times, not so much...like if the issue being discussed has been resolved (or isn't ever going to be).

Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@Shawnie Actually, what they were doing IS against standards, both bumping really old posts and their choice of topics. That's why the got deleted.

Oh, and @Moonchilde, in my post above, I wasn't referring to bumped posts. I think it's appropriate to delete posts by trolls that don't add anything meaningful (these didn't). But if others have then added comments, it becomes really subjective, really fast. Some topics could still be relevant and/or interesting and having the discussion continue in the same thread could be a good thing. Other times, not so much...like if the issue being discussed has been resolved (or isn't ever going to be).

Thanks I knew bumping was against standards but how old constitutes a bump?  And if it is what appears to still be a relevant topic what is the harm? I think I must have opened the forum after much of it was taken care of.  I just saw a couple of older threads with real comments.  Then later on I saw this thread and realized it must have been a hullabaloo.  I remember back a couple of forum iterations ago when overnight the nasties would take over the whole place.  That was clear to me.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@juperier wrote:

Ok I have a question.  Assuming they don't actual post something against standards what is the point of it all?  Don't these people get their jollies from the attention?

Usually and often the answer is yes, but not always. Some people just like to make a mess that inconveniences others to clean up, and some, like the 4-letter trolls, just love freaking people out for the heck of it.  Some do love the attention, some feed from hit-and-run where people come unglued simply because something very deliberately shocking was posted. The 4-letter trolls fall into this category, and they always get exactly what they hope for on these forums, with people having virtual strokes over a clearly trolling use of 4-letter words or blatantly inappropriate content. The trolls understand very well that they’ll get their desired reactions here; it’s why they keep coming back.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@juperier wrote:

Yes!  I expect reading this thread is giving a major jolly.

For perspective, what happened is someone bumped up about 15-20 threads by putting "good point" and "I agree" as a comment, for example. 

Then they posted about 3(?) threads with a Bible chapter and verse heading.  I think maybe they got over-confident because the bumping of threads was so successful.

It's hilarious that this is all a troll can do.  So I completely agree, Thank-You Mods!

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@juperier wrote:

Usually and often the answer is yes, but not always. Some people just like to make a mess that inconveniences others to clean up, and some, like the 4-letter trolls, just love freaking people out for the heck of it.  Some do love the attention, some feed from hit-and-run where people come unglued simply because something very deliberately shocking was posted. The 4-letter trolls fall into this category, and they always get exactly what they hope for on these forums, with people having virtual strokes over a clearly trolling use of 4-letter words or blatantly inappropriate content. The trolls understand very well that they’ll get their desired reactions here; it’s why they keep coming back.

I think I mentioned it earlier, tho obviously not here...I chose to open a couple of topics where the poster had made a comment (which were one or two words that added nothing to the conversation) just to get a better sense as to whether the poster might be legit. I didn't want to give him or her the satisfaction of an additional view  of the threads they had started. Way to many new topics started with the title being a bible quote. And then they moved on to questioning the sexual preferances of the hosts.... So,..eitgher trying to "save" us all (unlikely in my view) or deliberately trying to get a rise out of people.

Trusted Contributor

If someone who hasn't posted in a couple years was picking up from where they left off, I could understand why they chose old threads.  I'm not saying that I like seeing so many bumped or the one and two word responses used to bring them up, which of course was their undoing.  But, people who have fallen onto difficult times and want to come back may find it hard to navigate on a completely different format than from what they remember. That might be the reason for choosing old threads.  I agree that not all are trolls. 

I think we have to remember, there are people who post who are much older than the average who may be very depressed, etc and are not functioning well.There are people who don't have the self confidence to post or to start threads.  I know that seems incomprehensible to Plaid Pants and those who agree with her.  Smiley Very Happy  Not a slam.  I enjoy Plaid Pants too.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

There are 2 closed threads.

The author of one & contributor of another look to be 

the same writer, but they have different nics.

And the author of the one written was in 2010.

Humm.  

Maybe testing the waters for Christmas Eve?

@sidsmom  Of course they are.  We go through this every year and every year people post on the threads the troll started and/or on the bumped up threads.

This is what the troll wants;  just report to the mods and let it be. 

Nobody is telling the troll something everyone doesn't know, including the troll.

Feeding this nonsense everytime just encourages he/she/it/them to continue.

The bumped up threads are easily taken care of if the Q would only lock them after a certain period of time.

The new ones won't have any impact if people would stop posting on them and starting threads "WE HAVE A TROLL".  Well no kidding.

Every single time.  Same boat, different crew.  It's just as annoying as the troll.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown