Honored Contributor

This year I ordered a couple of food items and I'm left with the styrofoam boxes they were shipped in. We can't recycle them, so do you have any tips on how to break them down for the trash ? They are tough suckers. TIA.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Just get one of those big big black plastic bags and throw it in there. Today was my trash collection and I had big hard plastic formed pieces to protected my Bose radio in shipment.  Filled bag with other stuff and set it at the curb.  Now it's all gone.

Respected Contributor

Good question. The ones from Nutrisystems that the frozen food comes packed in with dry ice are like big thick coolers. It would take a saw to cut them up.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

For the food styrofoam containers - the covers I put in regular kitchen trash bag and the white box part I lay it on top of the trash all by itself.  Guy just grabs it and throws on the truck.  (no breaking those down either)

Honored Contributor

If I put stuff on the curb in a plastic bag, it would still be there at the start of the next Ice Age.  It must fit in the container with its lid closed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If I put stuff on the curb in a plastic bag, it would still be there at the start of the next Ice Age.  It must fit in the container with its lid closed.

That's the way it's supposed to be here but we have an idiot neighbor that thinks as long as it's not falling out onto the ground you can pile it as high as humanly possible.  

Sometimes they will take it, sometimes not.  

This is a family of five that in 20 years has never once put out the paper and cardboard recycling bin.

Esteemed Contributor

WE all have hard sided with lids containers.  Plastic bags in container......big styrofoam insulated food container....placed on top of plastic bags under lid.  Nothing..but nothing....left on ground.

Esteemed Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

Good question. The ones from Nutrisystems that the frozen food comes packed in with dry ice are like big thick coolers. It would take a saw to cut them up.

@Azcowgirl , the large, 2piece fitted nutrisystem coolers are useful to those who are providing outdoor winter shelters to feral cats. Not sure if that's the same as the container you mention.

The Nutrisystem container given to me was large enough to shelter an adult cat, or adult having her litter in winter. Walls were abt 3" thick.

Guessing it was abt 15x15x24".

If that's the size you're referring to, perhaps your local Humane Society or Wildlife Arc could direct you to a person/group who'd be glad to take those off your hands.

Honored Contributor

Why not do your part and instead of disposing of them, why not use them as coolers when you need a cooler? I have several that I keep and use any chance I get. I keep one in the trunk of my car and use it when bringing home frozen food from the grocery store during the hot summer days. It's a great idea! I'm not about to contribute to the throw away society of today. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

I give mine to my lawn guy and what he doesn't need, he gives away to his coworkers.  They love them for using as coolers when they are out working.