Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid ? about teaching cursive

I applaud the schools/teachers who teach cursive.

Around here, I know of a few students in schools that teach cursive.  All private/r*ligous. 

I guess it depends on the area? City? re: public schools.

It could be a 'hassle' for kids to have to print every single  word.  Takes too much time, imo.

Cursive is faster.

Just about everyone has to 'jot down' things such as lists, notes, etc.  Right?  Well, who knows.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Dare I even say that I heard this on TV somewhere a couple of years ago.

It was meant as a comic joke, so don't take seriously.

'Smart phones for st*pid people'.

Said in a very fun way, and everyone laughed.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why students/young folks are unable to read cursive handwriting. The majority of cursive alphabet letters are the same or very similar to printed alphabet letters. My grade school grandsons have learned cursive and know how to sign their names, but I don't see that they will use it much more than that. I'm glad that they were at least taught to sign their names. Yes, the world moves forward and away from the written word without using a pen or pencil, but it is a sad thing when people are unable to read a letter, document or signature that is written in cursive.

Esteemed Contributor

I make sure all of my middle school students can sign their names in cursive.  I have 135 this year.  We also do cursive handwriting practice, but I save it for the end of the year after we've completed state testing.  I write in cursive on the board throughout the year, so they have exposure to reading cursive.    

Respected Contributor

They need to know for buying a house, bank accounts, wills etc... My DD does printing &I  told her many times you need to write. I print (old school) in caps but so easy to write cursive. Years ago worked

'at a bank some guy had no reading or writing skills just signed with an X so many could do that. DD does know cursive for important docs but they were taught printing. Any problems if they write cursive a hand writing expert can figure it out.

Valued Contributor
Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

They need to know for buying a house, bank accounts, wills etc... My DD does printing &I  told her many times you need to write. I print (old school) in caps but so easy to write cursive. Years ago worked

'at a bank some guy had no reading or writing skills just signed with an X so many could do that. DD does know cursive for important docs but they were taught printing. Any problems if they write cursive a hand writing expert can figure it out.

There is a big difference between just signing with an X and signing in your own unique cursive OR printing. My son has a bank account and has signed other documents as well in printing, which doesn't look like someone else's printing.

Trusted Contributor

My son learned cursive when he was in private elementary school, but didn't use it when he entered into public school. So he can sign in cursive, but prints everything else.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Highlands72 wrote:

My kids have all learned cursive in elementary school, my youngest just last year in third grade. If they had not been taught in school, I would have been happy to teach them here at home, just as I have taught them how to cook and do laundry.

In a few years, I suppose I will have to teach them how to drive! Not looking forward to that.

P.S. Back in my older relatives' school days, both homemaking and driving skills were taught in schools. I wonder if these are completely a thing of the past.

@Highlands72 My grandson and granddaughter are in high school. Neither in middle school nor high school is there a class called homemaking. If there were, though, it should include boys and girls, unlike in my day.

And they tell me that driving skills are not taught in school. My daughter said that stopped years ago.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Whether you use cursive or printing has nothing to do with your intelligence, your facility with the language, or you ability to get a job -- despite some of the overwrought and dire proclamations here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland