Trusted Contributor

Re: Stupid ? about teaching cursive

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't think your question is stupid.  I have wondered how people sign their names if they don't know how to write in cursive.

@faeriemoon  Cursive is not required for signatures.

I have filled out many forms which require both (on same paper) printing and cursive for signatures. 

I think this is a sad trend and a mistake, if so. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

This thread keeps coming up.  Somehow back in the 50s I missed the memo and only ever learned to print.  NEVER had any problems.  After all we are not taught how to trim a quill right?

....and the same people who shook their fist at the 'motor bus'

passing their horse & carriage, cussing that 'nothing' is going to

take their horses away.   Er uh....

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

So odd they are doing this.

When I was in school, teaching us cursive was a large block of time. What are they doing instead of teaching cursive I wonder.

Also, that new math is a booger to me. I tried helping my niece with some of it. UGH. 

New ways are not always better. 

My son is now 21.   He had one year of cursive in third grade.  The teachers did not require assignments to be done in cursive, though, and he never used it throughout the rest of the years of public school.  

The time block previously allocated for penmanship was replaced with "keyboarding", and computers. 

Trusted Contributor

That typewriter is not really obsolete.  It is the same old keyboard we've used for over a hundred years.  Some legal documents still have to be done in triplicate, but I suppose that is being more and more phased out.

My son, who I previously referenced, learned keyboarding at school.  The were using a system to build speed on the keyboard that was like a video game and he took right off on it.   Like learning a little game. 

Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal   I have three grandkids in two different school districts.  Their parents do not have to buy them computers.  They are supplied Ipads by the schools.  They are used in the class rooms and taken home to do homework.

I also volunteer in an elementary school in another school district.  They too, are given Ipads.  Almost all their lessons are on the tablets...and when they are absent from school, they don't miss out on the work.

Another thing I noticed...many, but not all of the free lunch kids have iPhones...not even androids.  I have a Tracfone and they make fun of it all of the time.

I have been a volunteer for 9 years now.  To say I was shocked at first is an understatement.  Things are not always what they seem to be.

Respected Contributor

When we lived in California, my daughter attended private school. She was taught cursive starting in second grade & most school work & homework by third grade was done in cursive. I have to admit, my daughters handwriting in cursive was beautiful. This was 5-6 years ago. We now live in Southeast. We’re in a high achieving school district (public). No cursive. Most work done on IPad.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone if my family was taught cursive,  But only my husband writes it.  I print and so does my son.  He's 16 now. The only reason I did, was because I was left handed.  It was hard for me hold the angle of the cursive. Very quickly, I dropped cursive for print script.  For a lefty, print was much easier. My son is right handed, but also like many of his classmates, they dropped cursive.  It might be the constant Internet.  They see everything in print style.  Cursive was designed to speed up hand writing.  But technology killed it. I think it will eventually disappear. I won't be mourning it.

Respected Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I don't think your question is stupid.  I have wondered how people sign their names if they don't know how to write in cursive.

@faeriemoon  Cursive is not required for signatures.

I have filled out many forms which require both (on same paper) printing and cursive for signatures. 

I think this is a sad trend and a mistake, if so. 

Usually it says "Name (printed)" and Name (signature)." If it's the same, it's no big deal. My son signs in printing and has never had an issue. Your printing is just as unique as cursive. I do think there are advantages to teaching cursive, but I don't understand the handwringing about people writing Christmas cards in printing, etc. Looking back at things my son has written in printing is just as meaningful as if he had written them in cursive -- it is still his unique, personal handwriting. And, finally, whether or not younger people today can write in cursive has nothing to do with how well they write (as in, compose things) or spell or anything like that.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Old joke......Proud father at graduation. “I knew my son would be a doctor. He has terrible handwriting.”

Cursive or not, kids will develop their own signatures. They will survive.

There are several excellent cursive programs online.

Just think, not one of these posts is in cursive.

Honored Contributor

'First of all', it takes 'way longer' to print words.  More times to lift the pen/pencil to write each word, sentence, paragraph.

It's so much faster and smoother to handwrite cursive, imo.

Also, I believe that it can be a creative way to show our special hand writing skills.

Nothing better than receiving a nice card or note featuring  beautiful handwriting.

I treasure those cards from various people.

Love to see beautiful handwriting. 

Also, it's faster to take/jot down notes in cursive.

Oh, well, I'm an old-fashioned romantic.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).