Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Stupid ? about teaching cursive

I'm older than dirt, have no children/grandchildren, so I'm clueless.

I understand some schools no longer teach cursive, yet heard yesterday one district was bringing it back.

Do students that are not taught cursive at least learn how to write their signature, or is their signature printed also?

Denise
Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid ? about teaching cursive

@denisemb wrote:

I'm older than dirt, have no children/grandchildren, so I'm clueless.

I understand some schools no longer teach cursive, yet heard yesterday one district was bringing it back.

Do students that are not taught cursive at least learn how to write their signature, or is their signature printed also?

I don’t know but my son printed through high school and college.He can sign his name.

Honored Contributor

I believe all students who don't learn general cursive skills are taught how to sign their names ( my kids learned it all in their schools)

but more and more, I'm signing my name with an e-sign signature.  

and when I sign my name on a credit pad in a store...does that look anything like my actual signature?  Not at all.  

things are changing 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The children and young adults that I know that were never taught cursive do not know how to write their signature.  They also can't read cursive.

Many young teachers today do not know how to read or write cursive either.  It seems most school work is done on a tablet.  Even five year olds kmow their way around a keyboard.

Honored Contributor

Good question, @denisemb -- I would think writing one's signature in cursive would at least still be taught?   Luckily, my son's school fully taught him cursive, about a dozen years ago.  But I've also heard that some other school districts have dispensed with that. 

Honored Contributor

Cursive is taught in our schools.

Super Contributor

I didn't know this was a trend in education. My youngest granddaughter is 20 and learned cursive somewhere in elementary school, maybe 4th or 5th grade. Wonder who decided it was unnecessary, and why.
Regular Contributor

Denise, so glad you brought up this subject. 

I have a Grandson in elementary school. Yes, the school system has decided not to teach cursive. I am going nuts about this matter. I can’t even believe that they don’t think that it is necessary to teach cursive!! Yes I know, computers, technology, yadda yadda. 

So, my Grandson needed to sign his name on a check that someone had sent him. My daughter put the check on the table, he signed it all right. All in an unrecognizable scribble. Now my daughter went nuts. She very strongly went on to tell her son how important it is to have a signature that was legible. So she got out pen, pencil, and paper, and had him practice his signature. Over and over. From time to time she has him practice more...it has improved. But aI am still upset about the situation.

I worry about many of the things that students aren’t learning anymore in school.

I know how times are changing, but some of the things that aren’t being talked about or learned, are basics that the kids need to know IMO.

Ok, I feel a little better, ty for letting me release some stress here.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many schools have also stopped removing students for disruptive behaviors.  Parents demands.   Seems there is a large group pushing for stupid Americans.

Trusted Contributor

I have teenagers, they can sign their names, but cannot read cursive...they also stopped taking spelling classes somewhere around 5th grade.  

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it