Super Contributor

Starting soon cabbage with be on sale because of St. Patrick's Day for corned beef dinners. I always buy a few heads for coleslaw, cabbage soup, etc. It reminded me of a few months ago when my friend gave me some of her stuffed cabbage but it had grapes in it. Not in the meat but only in the surrounding "juice". She brought it over and we were at the kitchen table eating so I had to taste it but I did not like it at all. The stuffed cabbage itself was good but the grapes kind of turned me off. She said sometimes she will add raisins instead of grapes. Do any of you add fruit to stuffed cabbage?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Stuffed cabbage with fruit?

No.

Trusted Contributor

I have heard of the raisins but I haven't tried it. I've never heard of the grapes deal and neither sounds appealing to me. I'm not big on fruit with savory though.

Trusted Contributor

That's the first I've heard of combining fruit with cabbage.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Trusted Contributor

Raisins in stuffed cabbage is very common in parts of Central and Eastern Europe. Ina Garten's recipe for stuffed cabbage is delicious and uses raisins, and since trying it, I have made no other recipe.

Honored Contributor

I'm polish and my dead relatives would rise up and revolt.....bleckhhhhhh.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I knew someone that would put raisins in their meatballs...ick.

Respected Contributor

I don't tend to put fruit in meat dishes............BUT...........I do put it in salads........tonight I had a kale and spinach salad with black berries, avocado slices, mushrooms, fresh peas, mandarin orange slices and topped off with poppy seed dressing...........the best dinner ever..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Raven, sounds good. Do you make the dressing, and if so, what are the ingredients? Thanks
Respected Contributor

I have had stuffed cabbage with raisins or currants-and I enjoyed it tremendously. It's not uncommon at all to add small amounts of fruit to meat in Eastern Europe nd the Middle East. In addition to raisins and currants, apricots are used frequently as well. I love them in savory dishes: they impart a slight sweetness, and I love the texture. Poodlepet2