Honored Contributor

Re: Students Throw Covid Parties

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

Young people aren't the smartest. But I think saying it will funny when one of their parents getCOVIDD and posting a grave is going too far. 

@Lali1  Agree...

Historically, young adults (and, of course, some older adults) don't always demonstrate the best judgment, but this takes it to a whole new level. That said, right or wrong (and in this case it has led to some very 'wrong' behavior) most young people and some adults can only handle so much angst before they turn it into something else and it would seem that's part of what's happening here, as they turn their angst into defiance. There has been plenty of angst going around now for months. On top of that, everything, including their college 'careers', has been disrupted, creating still more anxiety. Moreover, many people only tolerate so much exposure to any given topic before they become desensitized. Again, right or wrong, media and social media have beaten this thing to a pulp and it was only a matter of time, 'stupid, selfish and ignorant' though it may be, until some started turning a deaf ear to it all and that's part of what's happening now.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

24E12795-7748-46FC-871A-3AC8FBAB6286.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

One reason why I prefer animals over people. Animals don't do stupid things like this.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  -- what you said - exactly!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Since this group is most likely college kids -- it reminds me of a term - "Affluenza" - a social condition that arises from inability for an individual to understand the consequences of their actions because of their social status and/or financial privilege.

Now if they knowingly do this -- well, wouldn't this be a sociopath in training? 

I hope there are severe consequences handed down - from somewhere.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

They say the brain is not fully developed until a person is about 25 years old.  Judgement is impaired.  It obvious this group has a way to go and should be in protective custody.

I have seen you defend China but now you're suggesting we should be like China and arrest poeple for having a party. I'm starting to think your username has a different meaning than we thought. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

"have no personal sense of resonsibility",

@Sooner 

This has become a world of "it's xyz's fault"! Responsibility?  All this stuff going on around the country now was everyone in our history's fault. Gotta get rid of history, and I am far from even being considered a dummy when it comes to history.

At least there used to be some rational attempt when saying "he did it, it's his fault". Now it's just "she did it", not my fault. Wonder how it got this way? I can only base my opinions on "my" life's experiences, starting in Public Housing Projects.

My mom worked, most other moms? Did not work and their families kept getting bigger, and discipline? Just a word many had no idea what it meant.The trouble makers, you can guess. 

I believe the "apple from the tree", but hey, I don't have any human kids, what would I know? Have heard that much of my adult life. Have to have had a broken arm to know it hurts theory! Sure I do.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Effie54 wrote:

I think that's deplorable, irresponsible behavior. Let's see how funny they think it is when one of them is on a ventilator.

I notice these are the "higher education"(?)students! Maybe it was just me and all the youth I hung with in my younger days. Ever heard the word "invincible"? That was what a lot of us "lower educated" youth believed.

hckynut

@hckynut Higher ed has not focused on teaching subjects quite a few years ago and began emphasizing social issues instead.  

Kids didn't learn to think or were required to think.  They weren't taught problem solving skills or the scientific method any more.  It's all about how we feel and social issues.  

A lot of scientific facts are not questioned and kids are thought that they must follow conventional thinking and not go against the norm nor think or reason for themselves.  They are not taught to question, disagree, or offer alternative thoughts.  In college.  In higher ed. 

It has come to fruition now.  Full blown, a mass of like-thinking little questioning why or is this good generation of young adults.  

Respected Contributor

They should all be required to self-quarantine for 2 weeks.  If they don't comply, then put them in jail for 2 weeks.  

Honored Contributor

I have to totally disagree on the slam against higher education. As someone who spent a good part of the last five years back in college for a second time, I encountered professors who encouraged independent thinking and critical thinking skills.

The stupidity of the students referenced in this post is certainly nothing new to this generation. It goes with the age-bracket and perception of invincibility. If I’m going to slam anyone it is the parents and older generations that have suddenly turned anti-science and anti-VAX.