Esteemed Contributor

Students Throw Covid Parties

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith told the City Council on Tuesday that he has confirmed the students' careless behavior.

More:  abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Students Throw Covid Parties

I think that's deplorable, irresponsible behavior. Let's see how funny they think it is when one of them is on a ventilator.

Respected Contributor

@Marp   It's all "fun and games" until someone gets hurt....aka someone dies or ends up giving it to their grandparents and they don't make it.

Are these high school or college students?  If college, then their parents are throwing their tuition money away and better to just bring their kids home since they have zero common sense. 

Their parents must be proud.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Marp   It's all "fun and games" until someone gets hurt....aka someone dies or ends up giving it to their grandparents and they don't make it.

Are these high school or college students?  If college, then their parents are throwing their tuition money away and better to just bring their kids home since they have zero common sense. 

Their parents must be proud.  

@CAcableGirl2,  the students involved are not being revealed but my sense is they are college age.  However, it is just a matter of time (which has likely already been reached) before this spreads across the country and filters down to at minimum the HS level.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Effie54Agree -  and how funny will it be when the first person they infect is one of their own parents, grandparents, or siblings?

This might be a good time for the track/tracing in that area to publish the names of those who participated in this stupidity -  those who live in the vicinity deserve to know these potential carriers.

Valued Contributor

Gets the Pot should be changed to, gets the Plot. grave.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@Marp    If this was my child.... I would let him...or her know they have just earned a "gap year".  Obviously too dumb to be enrolled in college.  

Valued Contributor

I don't understand how people could be so inconsiderate to their parents, their brothers and sisters, etc.  I would be demoralized if I got other people sick because of my stupid actions.  

Respected Contributor

Young people aren't the smartest. But I think saying it will funny when one of their parents get COVID and posting a grave is going too far. 

Honored Contributor

That's disgusting!  Odds are from what I understand, most younger people, if they get it, they get a mild version of it -- but --- there is a but --- young people can occasionally get a very serious version of this!  I guess they enjoy playing a form of Russian Roulette!  Also ---- it's really a shame that they can't seem to grasp, or don't want to grasp, the fact that by their irresponsible and selfish actions they could possibly pass this on to one of their parents or grandparents, and potentially cause their death!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin