Esteemed Contributor

I have been where you are and felt like you do. Scared. I took a huge chance earlier in my career. It ended up turning out well but I didn't know that for a while and there were many sleepless nights of worry. I also took an extra job during that time for about 20 hours a week to carry me financially. 

I have found the things that were the scariest for me and the most challenging are the things that ended up benefitting me most in the long run. I know that isn't true for every situtation. It would be senseless for me to tell you not to worry because I don't know your situation at all and you will do that regardless but I haven't met one single person who had change in their career (or anything) who wasn't scared at some point. 

The only constant is that there will always be change. It is normal for most to have some anxiety and fear of the unknown and unchartered waters. 

Tomorrow is another day and while you may not have all the answers and insight you would like to have, you may feel like you have a better understanding of what move to make next. Good luck to you. I definitely think tomorrow will be a better day.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor
This is why I love coming here...I really believe there are so many great people that give warm and thoughtful advice!!! Thank you..
Respected Contributor

Without knowing specifics, it's impossible to say much. I take it that this is a solo entrepreneurial venture versus a new corporate career. Have you been able to network with any local women's business groups, breakfast clubs, etc? You might get good advice, encouragement, and client leads that way. A friend of mine started her own insurance agency a few years ago, and she got many clients, bit by but, through such groups. It was slow. But she went after one lead at a time, always asking that person for another lead. I don't know if this applies to you or not. I admire your courage and hope you can stay on course and push through this. I will be candid and say that typically not a new venture will take more than six months to turn a profit. Can you supplement your income with a second job while you keep working on this new career?

Honored Contributor

Positive vibes to you. The unknown can cause more fear than anything else because you begin to doubt every choice you make; you begin the negative "what if" speech in  your head and place it on repeat.

Stay strong, stay calm. You will walk through this with clarity of mind and the knowledge you can survive whatever life throws you. You are not alone. Hugs.

Respected Contributor

Hi @NativeJax.  Are you talking about studying for the Series 6 in preparation for a career in securities?  I think you mentioned that you had a job waiting for you at Prudential upon passing the exam?  Perhaps your future employer could give you another entry level position at the firm in the meantime to tide you over with your finances.

Trusted Contributor

I've not be in your shoes specifically, but I can tell that you are a strong person.  I would not have had the courage to start something, entirely different, on my own.

Just remember you can do this, just as you've done other things in the past.

You need to take a deep breath, re-focus and dig in your heels.

YOU WILL BE FINE GIRLFRIEND!!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Struggling with change

[ Edited ]

I would say that if this is something that you really want to do then stick with your plan.  As for the financial situation, your money will obviously last longer if you don't have to rely solely on it.   Find a part time job NOW to supplement your savings or whatever you plan to live on so that it will last longer.   All the best to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax

Sending you wishes for peace and luck.

I started my own business and I know it can be the most rewarding, exciting thing you've ever done.  It can also make you wonder what in the WORLD you were thinking!

Do you have a planning, or start-up mentor?  I did and he was a real blessing.  If not, think about the people you know and see if you come up with someone who has the experience to advise and steady you.  You don't have to be close, this is business advice and many people are actually very flattered to be asked.

You might pay a visit to your Chamber of Commerce.  They usually have weekday meetings and such where you can meet other business owners, get some advice, give support, you might volunteer for something with them.  It's not sunk capital, it's investing your time in you.

Do you have any back-up capital plans?  Not family.  I had a written agreement with an acquaintance who knew me, knew my area, and looked over my business plan.  They believed it was a viable plan and guaranteed me a no interest, signature loan if I needed it.  I didn't, (ate lots of PBJ sandwiches, stayed awake many nights, and cut coupons) but it was nice to know it was there.  You could still look locally for banks or credit unions that do start-up loans, or small business loans, you don't have to use the money, but knowing it's there might give you comfort.

You could also ask at the COC about local programs for small businesses, they are usually taught by, or have speakers who have done it.

Again, Good Luck, and don't make the mistake of quitting TOO SOON, it takes time.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NativeJax wrote:
I have really been working hard with my career change and the past two days reality set in that what I thought was promising is going to take longer than my finances can carry me.

I feel like a flake and don't have a clue what direction to take now. This is uncharted territory for me as I typically have answers, focus and right now I have none.

Just wanted to vent....

@NativeJax, I haven't been in the identical position, but I've had similar situations.   I know how it is to feel very alone, and on the threshold (which might seem like a precipice, as @Bird mama said) of all sorts of new beginnings.    I don't even know if this applies to you, but I'll mention it just in case.   I learned that sometimes I have a tendency to "catastrophize" about what's happening and what might happen.   (I tend to do it the most late at night, when there's no one to talk with who will get me back on an even keel.)  

When I took a Dale Carnegie course, I learned from the book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" how to take specific steps to calm myself and also to separate the real concerns from the imagined ones.   Writing it down, saying "if this happens, then what can I do about it," that sort of thing.   Making the worries more concrete, turning worries into actions.   That book might be of help to you.   Also, there must be resources nearby...  women helping other women...  or the organization of retired business people who offer their time and expertise.   I don't know, just brainstorming and wishing I could help instead of feeling helpless.

I do wish you well, and I hope you'll continue to reach out for support and ideas.   You can do it!   I know you can!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

💕 @NativeJax 💕💕💕