Honored Contributor

Re: Store forgot to charge me for three items I purchased

Do the right and just thing.  Then be good with yourself.  When I choose to do what's right, I do it and move on.  I don't need to let anyone else know.  I need no further to let others know.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of course you take it back and pay for it, otherwise it's stealing.

Honored Contributor

I remember when I was very little and grocery shopping with my mom, I took a golden book. When my mom realized what I had done , she marched me back to the store and made me apologize to the manager. I never forgot that lesson and it informed all of my dealings to this day. Good for you for making your transaction right, none of us are entitled to profiting from a mistake. 🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I took them back and paid what I owed. They were rather surprised and the clerk told me that hardly ever happens☺️

Maybe it doesn't happen a lot. The store wouldn't know what they don't know.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Frequent Contributor

I would take it back to pay for it. It was not mine to keep.
Honored Contributor

This happened to me a few times.  I had an item in my cart which I forgot to pay for. When I was putting my packages in the car I noticed the item and went back into the store to customer service to pay for it.  I also received a surprised reaction and a thank you for my honesty.  I thought I did what most people would do but sadly in this society honestly is not the best policy.  

Good for you, gellen, for doing the right thing!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Of course you take it back and pay for it, otherwise it's stealing.

@LizzieInSRQ   Actually not. Most criminal laws have an "intent" element written into them, in this case an intent to steal. There was no intent to steal,  hence it's not stealing.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One time when Instacart delivered my groceries I got a hunk of cheddar cheese I did not order, I had tried texting the shopper but she had turned her chat off so I called Instacart and asked if there was some way they could connect with the shopper and have her come back to pick up the cheese, the shopper just left my residence...and the Instacart Rep informed me its against the health rules, if something is delivered they can't take something back.....So I told them to charge me for it and I would use it in my salads....the Rep said he appreciated my honesty...and said that this had never happened before.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

This has happened to me a few times and I've always taken it back. One day at Publix a seasoning was left in a Customer's cart and the bagged items were put in her cart. I was next in line and I waited until the customer was going through the door to tell the cashier. The cashier asked why didn't I say something while the customer was at the checkout and I said I would never do that. I was hoping the customer would realize it and take it back in the store, but she didn't and the cart was empty when I put mine next to hers.

I don't even know why I said anything to the cashier.

When I was a child and visited relatives in the Caribbean I was sent to the corner store to buy a few things. Sometimes I would be given a few cents over after paying for the purchases. Sometimes it was only over by 2 cents and I had to take it back to the store. Once it was only over by 1 cent and I just wanted to throw it over the fence and pretend I gave it back, but I couldn't because I would have felt guilty.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

This has happened to me a few times and I've always taken it back. One day at Publix a seasoning was left in a Customer's cart and the bagged items were put in her cart. I was next in line and I waited until the customer was going through the door to tell the cashier. The cashier asked why didn't I say something while the customer was at the checkout and I said I would never do that. I was hoping the customer would realize it and take it back in the store, but she didn't and the cart was empty when I put mine next to hers.

I don't even know why I said anything to the cashier.

When I was a child and visited relatives in the Caribbean I was sent to the corner store to buy a few things. Sometimes I would be given a few cents over after paying for the purchases. Sometimes it was only over by 2 cents and I had to take it back to the store. Once it was only over by 1 cent and I just wanted to throw it over the fence and pretend I gave it back, but I couldn't because I would have felt guilty.

That has happened to me with all the bagged groceries in the cart with my purse in the top compartment.  When I lifted my purse there were items I did not purchase.  Back into Publix I went......maybe that's what this lady did.