Respected Contributor

Re: Starkist tuna now owned by S. Korea company

@Alsee wrote:

I don't buy canned tuna. Have always questioned what those cans actually contain!

agree. I used to buy it, I'd make tuna salad, take one bite and that was it. Something about the texture and the taste grosses me out

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I read somewhere that the solid white albacore canned tuna has much more mercury in it then the chunk light canned tuna. 

here is a chart and information from the environmental defense fund on tuna:

http://seafood.edf.org/tuna?utm_source=ggad&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=tuna&gclid=Cj0KEQjw04qvBRC6v...

Thanks for that.  I don't eat canned tuna very much but I do eat quite abit of sushi!!

Respected Contributor

This is a non political statement.----We must all be sure to see that foods are labeled. Some companies don't want us to know.

Honored Contributor

hennypenny wrote:

This is a non political statement.----We must all be sure to see that foods are labeled. Some companies don't want us to know.

I so agree with you!  It's very important.  The grocery store where I go the most even says where each produce item is from.  For me and the bird it is particularly important to know.  But when I stop by other grocery stores/chains I find that it's not like that everywhere so I don't end up buying much.

Packaged foods - even more so.  It should just be the way it is. 

Esteemed Contributor

Really?  You have a problem with S.Korea as a source of canned food?  It is one of the Worlds most mechanized and sophisticated countries.  This is Not the S. Korea of the 1950s, actually it is similar in many ways to Japan.  I lived there for 4 years and I'm baffled by your husband's "horror stories" unless he was way out in the country or on an isolated military base.

Esteemed Contributor

Many thanks for the info.   Now we will have junk tuna.  Tuna that is a mix of whatever from polluted waters.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

In light of a recent thread (now deleted for links), I wanted to mention to those who may not know that Starkist was sold to a South Korean company a couple of years ago.

If you google 'Starkist Korea', you'll find many, many problems ranging from illegal fishing (criminal charges filed) to failure to comply with FDA inspections of a plant in American Samoa, to not filling the cans with the specified amount of tuna (lawsuit pending).

Personally, I won't eat any food products processed in S. Korea, Asia or China, due to the lack of regulations and unsanitary conditions in those countries.

DH worked for the Federal Gov't and was there for over a month.....oh, the horror stories he had to tell!

No links, to avoid the thread being deleted, but you'll be interested in the article on Greenpeace.org.

I never thought of Japan or Singapore as being unsanitary. As a matter of fact I believe their capital cities are far cleaner than any of our major cities. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Regular Contributor

Interestingly, I received this in my e-mail today.........

Patrick Hendricks noticed his 5 ounce can of tuna was a few tenths of an ounce light on tuna and heavy on water (or oil), and that resulted in a class-action lawsuit against StarKist.

Hendricks accused StarKist of intentionally underfilling its 5 ounce cans of tuna. According to Top Class Actions, federal law requires that 5 ounce cans contain 2.84 to 3.23 ounces of tuna. But Hendricks maintains that StarKist cheated consumers by putting 2.81 to 3.11 ounces of tuna in its cans.

Although StarKist has denied any wrongdoing, the company did agree to pay $8 million in cash and $4 million in tuna vouchers to consumers to settle the Hendricks v. StarKist Co. lawsuit.

If you purchased a 5-ounce can of StarKist chunk light tuna or solid white tuna in water (or oil) between 2009 and 2014, you could be owed a refund, and you get to choose between $25 in cash or $50 in tuna.

Some StarKist tuna eaters will receive notices of the settlement. If you don’t receive a notice, you can file a claim yourself. You don’t need a receipt to file a claim, but you do need to confirm "under the penalty of perjury" that you purchased StarKist Tuna during the five-year time frame covered by the lawsuit. If you want to file a claim for cash or a tuna voucher, claims need to be filed by Nov. 20, 2015.  (from MoneyTalksNews.com)

Honored Contributor

I'll take my tuna fresh ... NOT canned.  Cat Wink  Don't trust canned; have to see it with my own two eyes. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

Really?  You have a problem with S.Korea as a source of canned food?  It is one of the Worlds most mechanized and sophisticated countries.  This is Not the S. Korea of the 1950s, actually it is similar in many ways to Japan.  I lived there for 4 years and I'm baffled by your husband's "horror stories" unless he was way out in the country or on an isolated military base.

Yes, per SMAUG'S statement and my personal knowledge per a "filth inspector" friend of mine.

As a filth inspector this is what she does.  She receives a daily batch of petri dishes into which has been plated a sample of one can or jar or tube or package of food from an Asian country.  The petri dish is grided.  Her job is to count rodent hairs, insect parts and bark/flower parts, etc., under microscope.  The parts are counted per grid and noted per grid number and petri dish number.  The food tested comes from customs, which pulls food samples at random at port cities just off tanker ships.

My friend said the most contaminated thing she ever viewed under scope was skark fins for the highly prized shark fin soup consummed during certain festivals.  Apparently this was so because the fins are laid out to dry under the sun with no protection.

When I asked her what she would advise me, if anything, she said that if I plan to cook any Asian dishes or just use soy sauce, just make sure the ingredients originate in the U.S..  After this, she said she would never, ever cook with or eat......and her list was humongous.