Honored Contributor

St. Peter's Basilica

[ Edited ]

I hope I spelled that right.

I have a passion now to see this on You Tube.  I'm so thankful that I can do that.  It's amazing.  

Now that is a place I'd love to see in person!!

Have you been to see it?

Respected Contributor

Basilica

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Yes DH and I were there blessed twice to be there. It's so beautiful. This was a bucket list place for me. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal Yes I've been there twice.  Once we went on a Mediterranean cruise in 2009 and one of the places that we toured was in Rome.  We were limited in time but stopped at St. Peter's Basilica.....the second time was two years later.  My son spent a semester in Rome and his apartment was in the neighborhood near the Vatican....amazing experience for him!  He got to go see it several times.

The second time we had much more time to explore and we also saw the Sistine Chapel.

It it huge!  From what I remember Michelangelo's Pietà is close to where you enter and it was so incredible to see a Michelangelo work of art right in front of me!  The ceilings are so high.  There are Roman numerals near the top of he dome that seem small but each one is the height of an adult!  One can explore for hours if not days.

Outside in St. Peter's Square the ground has huge cobblestones....one needs comfortable shoes and I can remember seeing a woman walking around the square wearing spike heels....I would have twisted my ankle!

It's also another huge space and I think the Pope has an apartment overlooking the square.

I'm so glad I got the chance to go. Who knows if we'll be able to do that sort of travel again? I sure hope so!

Honored Contributor

yes - I've been there twice - 

first time 25 years ago and the last was 10 years

always breathtaking

all of Italy is beautiful - the people, history, art and the food 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have been there and it is amazing.   There is so much to take in and I remember I was in awe of everything I saw.   It is one of those places that having seen pictures or on TV, you can't believe you are actually there in person.

Honored Contributor

Yes, a few times.  It is awesome!  Along with the Sistine Chapel.  Hope you get to see it in person someday @qualitygal !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I hope I spelled that right.

I have a passion now to see this on You Tube.  I'm so thankful that I can do that.  It's amazing.  

Now that is a place I'd love to see in person!!

Have you been to see it?

@qualitygal   Yes, been there.  Everything is so huge!!  Seeing it on TV is nothing like seeing it in person.  Magnificent!!

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the correct spelling, and good to hear, so many have you have seen it in person, plus the surrounding areas also.  How wonderful!!!

Honored Contributor

I was there in the early seventies when there was not strict security. I remember the Sistine Chapel the most. So beautiful. We returned the next day which was Sunday and wandered around and came upon the Pope giving Mass inside the Basilica.