Respected Contributor

geese.jpg

Honored Contributor

One thing I miss about work is the pond near  the hospital where I worked. Every spring you could see the babies and wait while the family crossed the road. Messy, but cute.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 

Same here.  Looked forward to Spring time & hoping to see the geese with their baby chicks walking "single file" crossing from the lake to the green areas for their munchies (on my way to work.)  They're so fuzzy & adorable.

Honored Contributor

Love to see geese up close, @PickyPicky3 !   And those precious little goslings.

For some reason, I love hearing that plaintive honking when geese are flying overhead....

Honored Contributor

There is a road that runs parallel to a river nearby and I see so many geese as I drive.  I love the babies, so furry and cute .  I always enjoy nature and her gifts!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@spiderw @Oznell @sceniccoast @QVCkitty1 

One of my favorite experiences in life is to be at the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge in Galloway NJ at sunset in mid-November. Thousands of southward migrating birds of all sizes swoop down to spend the night. And all of them are communicating with each other. It's as if they've been flying all day and finally can catch up. The noise is overwhelming. 

This refuge is unique because you can drive far out over the salt wetland with the lights of Atlantic City twinkling in the distance. I'm always so sad when an employee tells me it's time to move on. Just a few minutes more please.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Love to see geese up close, @PickyPicky3 !   And those precious little goslings.

For some reason, I love hearing that plaintive honking when geese are flying overhead....

@Oznell , My mom had a real love for geese and loved seeing them fly in formation.  Now whenever I I see them in flight I look up and say , " Hi mom."  It makes me smile. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

We have a lot of Canadian geese that hang out near a pond about a block away. We see them down this way in the spring...they are very aggressive and will chase you if you get too close...so we keep our distance.

Honored Contributor

I live in the northern part of Jersey and sad to say I have not experienced the Forsythe Wildlife Refuge at Galloway.  It sounds absolutely delightful and being a lover of everything nature offers I hope to make a trip there in the Fall as you suggested.  

There is a raptor sanctuary at Millington, NJ.  I visited it a couple of times with my niece.  It is a small refuge which also cares for sick and injured birds.  It houses owls and other raptors .  

I will keep in mind the Galloway refuge, thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

What a precious association for you to have with your Mom, @QVCkitty1 !