Contributor

Speed Queen washer question?

Narrowing my new washer search between Speed Queen classic clean  with dials or Speed Queen perfect wash with digital controls.

If anyone has either of these models, opinions needed.

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Speed Queen washer question?

[ Edited ]

I have the Speed Queen washer/dryer with digital controls.  I hate dials.  People will tell you that the more electronics the more chance of problems.  My last washer/dryer were digital Whirlpool.  I replaced them after 15 years.  I never had a minute's problem with the electronics and have not with the Speed Queen either.

Respected Contributor

We recently replaced a 10-year-old Speed Queen washing machine with a new Classic Clean-Model TC5000WN.  We have had it for about 6 weeks; it does a fantastic job getting the laundry clean.  It seems to have fewer controls than my older model Speed Queen.  To be fair, we have never owned a washing machine with digital controls.

Honored Contributor

I had a Roper similar to Speed Queen that I got for our apartment. It had dials and I sure miss it! When we moved I could only find a digital model, Now a Maytag which I like for the size and no agitator.

I don't like the digital controls and more likely for something to go wrong.

I would get a dial if you can get it. And Speed Queen is supposed to be one of the most reliable brands. Even more so if a dial version I think.

To me it is just like cars, phones etc-so many things computerized that I never need, or ever wanted to figure out!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a speed queen, best washer i have ever had,in 40 yrs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I have a Speed Queen set - digital - and not happy with the following.  Should have gone with dials, or another brand.

The "normal" wash is pre-set to save water and is basically useless so I have to use perma press instead.

Washer stops filling when lid is lifted so I can't rinse detergent cap.

The lint trap is on the dryer door sill and not covered.  If you don't turn off the dryer before opening the door, your clean clothes tumble into the lint.

The "fully dry" sensor on the dryer always shuts off prematurely so I have to use "near dry."

Supposedly Speed Queen lasts forever but I sure miss my Kenmore set.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DIALS!

LOL  Sorry, I am passionate about this question.

I specifically purchased my Speed Queens with dials because those dashboards are very expensive to replace if they go.  My GE dryer panel died about 13 months in after it was out of warranty and it no longer automatically stopped when the dryer was done, so I had to use my oven timer for 26 years to turn off the dryer.  It was $180 for the part and who knows what for the service call 30 years ago, so I have no idea what it would be today.  The dryer itself was a builder grade model and only about $350 to begin with.

So, never again.

I am a dial person until I die.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly!! GET THE DIALS!!  I love my washing machine. I bought the dryer with the dials, too. Mine came with the dashboard a little loose.  I called the store where I bought it and they sent out a Speed Queen repair man, but he said it couldn't be fixed.  So I called Speed Queen direct and there was a kit to fix the dashboard from moving.  Another repairman came out with the kit and fixed it. I LOVE both my washing machine and dryer.  I've had them two years and couldn't be happier.  Both my appliances have a 10 year warranty.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Speed Queen W/D with digital controls and I'm very happy with them.  My machines get used almost daily and I have never had any problems with them.  When I looked at them in the store I didn't care for the ones with the dials.  

I know most people will tell you to get the ones with the dials but honestly I wouldn't be afraid of the digital controls.  If you can afford it, get the more expensive model. Mine were considered to be close to the commercial line.  

I highly recommend Speed Queen and wouldn't have any other brand. 

Honored Contributor

i have a speed queen set with the digital pad and i love it. we are going on our third year. top loading washer, front loading dryer.

easy to use, i can put in the amount of water i want instead of using the water saving feature, and is super quiet. i have the one that has a 7 year warranty. no issues at all and i am going into the third year. we also have the matching dryer.  i empty out the easy to clean lint area each time i use the dryer and have never had issues with the lint getting mixed into the dry clothes.

very impressed with speed queen and the features and the warranty.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein