Honored Contributor

Re: Special masks for exercising?

I don't wear a mask outside when I'm taking a walk but if went to the gym I would. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

Always like reading about people exercising. Won't list all my exercises, but I will say this about wearing a mask while exercising. Your level of exercise is what will make the difference.

If ones chosen exercised do not increase the heart rate, they also do not do much to increase ones need for their pulmonary functions easily. Were my only reasons for  exercise were mainly just to be moving, my heart rate would barely elevate, nor would my need for more oxygen/carbon dioxide function. Thus a mask would not effect me very much, if any at all.

Between my 2 episodes of lung damage from PE, and Aspiration Pneumonia with my first heart attack, my lungs were pretty damaged. There was no need for a mask back then, except!

If I wanted to ice skate my Pulmonologist told me I had to wear a mask. My ice skating is a high level heart rate increase along with much greater oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange. The mask?  Warming up and cooling down, just fine.

At high intensity exercising my oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange was not able to keep up. Thus the Lactic Acid buildup in my muscles. It was either slow down, or end up with muscle spasms, which eventually will cause anyone to stop.

Right now I do not wear a mask when walking Lily, our dog, outside or in my home gym. I wear a mask into the Ice Skating Arena, but take it off before I start skating. It is not required when on the ice surface.

I have worn many different types of masks, especially when I had to with my lung damage from the above serious issues, all deadly. Found none that helped my Cardio/Respiratory functions at Max exertion levels.

If what you are wearing doesn't effect your Cardio/Respiratory function, why change?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

We have not been to the "Y"-not even sure if it is open.

At physical therapy I had to do 10 minutes on the bike and it was uncomfortable for me-it became too hot.

At home I can now do my exercises without the mask and walk on my treadmill.

What would be a special mask for exercising??

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

There are also silicone mask brackets  people wear under their  surgical masks- they  help open up the pleats a bit more so you can breath better. They were recommended to me from healthcare workers I know.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

In addition to using my indoor bicycle and walking around my neighborhood, I went to the Y today to exercise. I wore a mask. I also just ordered a couple of new masks from Nordstrom today that are supposed to be good for exercising. Do any of you have particular masks that you like for exercising? I found that I can, indeed, exercise just fine with a mask on. It was not hard at all....

FYI..........Most likely because you are not exercising hard enough. Heart rate increases your breathing. To get your heart rate up, which is what aerobic exercise does, your breathing increases significantly. For me, I'd be dead. Can't do my treadmill run with a mask on.

Honored Contributor

Riding my bike every morning before work as not changed thank goodness.  Just get up at 4:00 a.m. and grab my current library book.  No mask necessary.  Walking outside is always mask free. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

No more going to the gym for me until this is over.  I can either exercise at home or walk in the nighborhood (not many people around).  I simply can't exercise with a mask...I can't hold a lively conversation while wearing one let alone doing a heavy work out.

I won't go many places because I hate wearing a mask. I feel like my field of vision is off I get panicky and it feels stifling. I wear the darn things but I go in and and out in a flash if I go anywhere at all.
My husband and I both walk outside everyday and we do see many others walking but they are across a street and if they are on the same side I walk way out of their way. There is no way having had asthma all my life I could workout in a mask. I always hear people say if I can wear a mask so can everyone else. That is like saying if I don't have anxiety or depression then no one else does. People are very different. 

Honored Contributor

As it is, I have to make myself run, so doing it with a mask on is impossible.  I did try and I was breathing so hard after just one lap.  I generally run 3 laps at a time with a walking lap in between.  

I go to the Y.  For awhile you had to reserve your time, but they have backed off that except for classes, the pool, and the track.  However, I have never experienced a crowd there since this started. i don't know about later in the day, but at 7:00 am it's generally 15 to 20 people.  Today it was particularly quiet.  At one point it was down to 4 people plus the 2 on the track.  I pass by a big gym that opened shortly before the whole pandemic started on my way to the Y.  No way would I go in that gym.  The parking lot is always packed.

Honored Contributor

Personally I would not be in a gym right now.  That is just a place I wouldn't be comfortable in.

I walk outside in my neighborhood and because I do it after work when it's already getting dark and now it's getting cold, I rarely if ever see anyone else.  I have never worn a mask when outside in a neighborhood walking. 

If it's ugly outside and I can't walk, I pop in a walking DVD or turn on a walking program from YouTube or a HIIT program from YouTube. 

I do know people who are going to the gym and having a terrible time with breakouts from sweating and mask wearing.