Esteemed Contributor

Special masks for exercising?

In addition to using my indoor bicycle and walking around my neighborhood, I went to the Y today to exercise. I wore a mask. I also just ordered a couple of new masks from Nordstrom today that are supposed to be good for exercising. Do any of you have particular masks that you like for exercising? I found that I can, indeed, exercise just fine with a mask on. It was not hard at all....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Special masks for exercising?

I haven't found one mask that I like. The closest to bearable are the ones I got from Old Navy. I've tried going to the gym and walking the track or treadmill and after 10 minutes I'm sweating and as long as no one is around I take it off. My gym did restart water aerobics and no mask required at the pool so that's where I will be.

Respected Contributor

The only thing I am in the gym for is spinning twice a week after work.   I got a mask from Under Armour that is specifically designed to work out in. I really like it and I am someone who needs to breathe. They are $30 but you can just keep washing them and wearing them. When I run outside I don’t wear my mask because I run alone. 

Honored Contributor

I was excercise walking without a mask until last week. I decided it was just too risky because of the difficulty staying away from people. I had already switched from cloth to disposables, and I find they don't bother much while walking.

I do walk quite fast, but if I were to do even more strenuous workouts or maybe in very hot weather, I would take your recommendation, @Goldengate8361 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I tried a bunch for workouts and currently love the ones made by adidas. Available online only.  Now that's colder it's not as much of an issue but it had their climilite (?) material that is sweat wicking which was super helpful in the hot summer. Good luck! 

(I wear one all the time outdoors. I'm higher risk and don't trust others haha!) 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on the mask and what it is made of. I have lots of the disposable ones but the cotton ones that I have from Old Navy and other places seem safer since they are thicker. I walk outside on a trail for exercise...and just keep the mask in my pocket until I see someone approaching. I walk off of the trail for distance and put on the mask if necessary. No way can I walk the five miles wearing a mask. Just can’t. Our Y isn’t open and most gyms aren’t either, so our options a limited.

Honored Contributor

We have the Under Armour masks.  They are sized specifically for your face.

Honored Contributor

No more going to the gym for me until this is over.  I can either exercise at home or walk in the nighborhood (not many people around).  I simply can't exercise with a mask...I can't hold a lively conversation while wearing one let alone doing a heavy work out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear KN95 masks - they're kind of cone shaped and really allow the air to circulate when you're exercising. The 95% filtration is an extra sense of security, combined with following the other guidelines. They're basically the 'laymans' version of the hospital N95's. 

With the current spike, I've been wearing them solely rather than the surgical or decorative masks.

kn95.JPG

Honored Contributor

In certain situations I wouldn't trust cloth masks.  I have found personally the disposable  paper masks  are best  an allow  me to breath better on the treadmill or lifting weights.